[LPC] Space Wolf Valkeries

Oldenhaller

So I've greed to join in with the Libarium painting challenge and have decided to add a characterful unit to my space wolves as part of my winter war effort which is running amok all over swansea. I'm planning to add some valkeries in the guise of some seraphim to my list which will total 500 points(ish) with the st celestine which is also going into the mix. I thought i'd start by outlineing the basics of the conversions i intend to do so everyone can get a mental picture of what I'll be making which I can then ruin by making somehting completely different!

~The Squad~

I'll be making 8 seraphim including 2 flamers and a veteran sister superior which will be wolfed up and stabby. Each valkerie with have a spear and shield (being the all father's shield maidens after all...and the spear being his weapon) and also the holy bolt pistol. Now as they're going to have twin linked bolt pistols Each will be weilding a combibolt pistol which will give me the counts as for this. The spear is the additional hand weapon, the sheild having no effect other than to look awesome.

For detailing I intend to remove all of the isters and inquisitorial iconography. Replacing this will be lots of fur, random wolf pelts, tooth and runic charms and of course the iconic wolf's tails talismans. I'd like to find a good teutorial for greenstuff braids so the classic gun-nun bob can be disguised, so if anyone know's one....? In additon to this rather than being on the metal seraphim flying sticks I'll be putting in either scenic basing they're flying off of or using clear rods...not decided which yet although I'm erring toward the latter.

Finally for the paint scheme I intend to do a greyer version of my current wolf scheme. I'm on a mix of 50/50 shadow grey and astronomicon grey with a little water followed by a gryphone sepia wash, then following this with another layer of the base coat and then highlighting up. I'm thinking for these ladiesto start with a mix of either codex grey or possibly darker as a mix with shadow grey....possibly even doing without the shadow grey...not sure if it'll tie them in well enough. All in all however that's a consideration for the future...all of 2 and a half weeks time...*groan*

~The Saint~

For the saint...or Head Valkerie as I like to think of her I'll be working on a different model as the base for her with adegree of work to make it look like it fits in. I intend to base the saint on the emenently effeminate wood elf lord with the i've-got-a-large-schlong sword. I'll be removing the wood, the sprite, the bow&quiver and the greenery on the model and then adding the additonal wolfy style gubbins which should then tie it in with the rest of the squad. I'm tempted to remove the detailing from the sword and then replace it with runes along the blade, I think it'll be more nordic in it's style while stil retaining the holy-relic/flamer effect. I'll be changing the pose of the legs slightly so they look more like they're leaping...although obviously they're pretty close already. Lastly the addition of a Seraphim jump pack out to finish the model nicely.

Painting will put her in the same style of colours as the rest of the squad. I hope that the baroque looking armour will single her out as a character easilly enough. I'll look at playing with some OSL effects fromthe sword to have it playing around her feet and the ground...make things look slightly more special.

Fionger crossed I've enough time to complete everything and also get the games in and finish the rest of the army. Do I put too much on my plate....maybe a little :)

~O

Cheers guys...it's looking like a lot of fun - will keep things updated with some pics whien I can.

Small update from last night as I can't find my snips - working with metal models with just a scaple is approximately tedious and so I opted to work on my ironpriest/techmarine instead. However! I did end up with a smidgen of time before the warm embrace of neck crunching bugger-i-fell-asleep-on-the-sofa-again I managed to get a little work on the plastics needed for this squad done. Twin linked bolt pistol ago-go!

Very simple conversions - take two matching bolt pistols from either the tactical or assault or wolf sprues, slice off the hands/pistol grips and the trim down the two opposite inner sides. Of course if there are specific details on the outside of one gun that you like...don't put that on the inside! I've made 3 of the 7 which I need to craft, some are going to be slung or holstered so they'll have the pistol grip and trigger guard reattatched and then traps/holsters attatched.

I've enough pistols to do this...some older and bulkier than others so I might go on a scavenge to see if i can pick up some of the newer ones from people if they're not using them. I've got all the shields i need - although I might might well mix some of the wooden beastmen ones in there aswell - will see if I can get my hands on any.

Gobbo spears are all sourced...although I'm thinking I might give one of them either a dwarf caernyx or gobbo wolfrider hunting horn. One of my wulfen has the gobbo one already so I may well use that as it'll give more cohesion accross the army.

~O

Quick update from the pics I took late last night....storm-boltpistols and the test piece for the spear. Needs much more wolfing up!

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/evil-jim/GEDC0570.jpg?t=1265354274

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f151/evil-jim/GEDC0571.jpg?t=1265354283

Hope they're approved of...sorry about the yellow tinge, flash was washing things out last night. Not sure if I want to keep the two sights on the pistols - might change these to a single one - haven't decided tho. As mentioned, she needs a lot of greenstuff and more wolfy gubbins

~O

Cheers guys :P

Will be looking to cut the sights from the top then and rebuild the lumps on top and theen reseat a single sight in the middle then...think you're right on that front. Will also look at doing unified mags in some of the other ones...see if I can make them all slightly different and personalised. Thinking that I've some spare autocannon mags around somewhere I should be able to press into use....don't want to make them too big tho.

As to the girls....have decided rather than additions of randowm plastic tat they're going to need converting properly with a pile of greenstuff otherwise they'll look too much like sisters. Have tried to put in a braid but it doesn't quite work and will need to blend it in with greenstuff anyway...was wondering if anyone had any good teutorials for crafting these?

~O

like a lot the idea, I want to make a female force in my SW army also.

The spear maybe looks a bit large for this model, you should try the spears from the new mounted barbarians of WF (all plastic ones), they are more detailed and thin

Oooh, single mags for them will certainly look neat. In addition to the ones off the autocannons, if you've to some spare blackreach termi storm bolters, the box mags on them would probably do nicely as well. I'll also certainly look forward to seeing them once you've hit them with some greenstuff.

Chunky spears is what I've got I'm afraid...after shelling out 30 notes for the thunderfire techmarine I fear any future expendature will have to wait till next month...and by then it'll be too late! Am thinking of using the lion chariot one two handed for the sister superior tho

Single mags and termi ones have all gone onto sternguard in my mentor legion army I'm afraid...would be cool but shall see what I have to work with..

-O

Archived