New Guy asks: Where's the Love for CSM?

servitob

Put simply, I was initially attracted to Chaos because the bizarre, horrific and surreal imagery appealed to my particular tastes. The fact that the background has since expanded so that Chaos Worshippers are not just mindless blood crazed fanatics but have their own very particular motivations and idiosyncrasies makes the whole package even more enticing. Furthermore, there is a certain inevitability to Chaos: it seems that it doesn't really matter what its opponents do, they are still feeding it in some way, shape or form. Chaos will out, for Chaos is the only truth, as the truly enlightened amongst us acknowledge :)

The ideas that inform Chaos are also deeply interesting; it's one of the few armies in 40K that can inspire quite intense philosophical debate (and has done on these boards many times in the past).

I like the current book alot. It's fun and flexible and works well.

I stoped playing chaos and 40k when the filth book was reliesed at the end of 3ed and the game came down to point and click no brains needed games. Now I'm a happy camper and my berzerker hord is having alot of fun, as is my Iron warrior siege army. And soon my steampunk influenced mixed army will be rocking the tables lead by fabulous Bile( :D ) and his enhanced warriors!

If you are coming to Chaos fresh, you should not have any problems or complaints. Most of the loudest whiners (myself included) are people that have played CSM for several versions and enjoy the more "flavorful" versions of the cult armies that allowed many combinations and opportunities for "themes". Now CSM is just "Black Legion".

I play Black Legion, so i can use any of the options from the chaos book, paint it black, slap a legion transfer on it, and go slaughtering imperials :cuss

I started by making my own Abaddon, he's so badass he's even killed a Primarch from the tempus fugitives campaigns, a 450pts model!!!

At the moment I'm doing my Chaos Marines because of the epic background and on-going story I've been inspired to develop for them. I'm massively in to 40k for the background and stories, so one of the most important factors for me when I do an army is "what's their story?"

Also, I love collecting, converting and painting, although I'm not the best at it! Between Cult Troops, Spawn, Daemons, you've got absolutely endless possibilities to convert and create the miniatures in your Chaos army.

Finally, I've always played Marines or Chaos Marines - they're a staple of just about avery 40k player's collection, and Power Armoured armies suit a flexible, fun apporach to play (tough enough to deal out punishment, but resilient enough to let you off some mistakes!). I'm not a very good player I'll admit that, and I will also admit that I find it difficult to get a competitive army using the current codex. That's because I haven't gone down the route that a lot of Chaos players have been pursuing for this purpose (daemon princes, obliterators, etc), although I've just added some Obliterators and Thousand Sons to my army to try and see if they DO make a difference...

That's probably not enough to convince you why you should do Chaos, but those are some of the reasons I do my Chaos Marines!

Archived