Silly Codex:SM questions

Magua

1) If you get a Techmarine or Master of the Forge, you can also get a unit of servitors. Does this take up one of your Elite FOC slots? The servitor entry lacks the "This does not take up a slot" text that Honour Guard, Command Squad, etc, have, but, on the other hand, I can't imagine anyone ever using up an Elites slot on the servitors.

2) Marneus Calgar's God of War ability specifies that he, and anyone else with Combat Tactics, can choose to pass or fail morale checks. If you include Marneus Calgar and another HQ who modifies the Combat Tactics rule (eg, Shrike), am I right to assume you must give up Combat Tactics (as per Shrike's Chapter Tactics rule) and thus not be able to benefit from Calgar's God of War?

3) Is there any functional difference between a chain sword and a combat blade? An iron halo and a rosarius? A croznium and a power sword? I assume that there's not, and they're just modeled differently.

4) Bikes come with TL bolters. Can a character riding a bike fire the bolter and another weapon, like a vehicle, or simply has the option to fire one or the other?

Thanks!

1) Servitors do not take up an elite slot. See the Space Marine Codex FAQ on the GW website.

2) Yes, since you have to trade Combat Tactics for another named HQ's ability (Pedro Kantor, Khan, etc), Calgar's God of War is now useless.

3) No functional difference between any of those pairs. It's just for flavor.

4) A character on a bike may only fire ONE weapon per shooting phase. You must choose between a hand-carried weapon or the twin-linked bolters. The exception to this is the Attack Bike, which can fire the heavy weapon and the twin-linked bolters each shooting phase.

ShinyRhino pretty much wrapped this up, but I'll add a few comments.

2) Marneus Calgar's God of War ability specifies that he, and anyone else with Combat Tactics, can choose to pass or fail morale checks. If you include Marneus Calgar and another HQ who modifies the Combat Tactics rule (eg, Shrike), am I right to assume you must give up Combat Tactics (as per Shrike's Chapter Tactics rule) and thus not be able to benefit from Calgar's God of War?

Calgar will still benefit from his own ability; he does not need Chapter Tactics. Read his rule carefully. He's able to choose to pass or fail, period. Other members of his force with the Chapter Tactics rule also get to choose to pass or fail. Taking another special character that replaces Combat Tactics will prevent the army as a whole from electing to pass, but Calgar will still be able to choose to pass or fail his own morale checks...and that should include any unit he's joined with as they use his Leadership (i.e. it's a roll he's making).

3) Is there any functional difference between a chain sword and a combat blade? An iron halo and a rosarius? A croznium and a power sword? I assume that there's not, and they're just modeled differently.

An iron halo and a rosarius both do the same thing functionally (4+ invuln), but they are visually different for a reason: for WYSIWYG. Anything carrying a Croznium is a Chaplain. Anything wearing an Iron Halo is a Commander/Captain. Also, chainswords look much cooler than combat blades. ;)

An iron halo and a rosarius both do the same thing functionally (4+ invuln), but they are visually different for a reason: for WYSIWYG. Anything carrying a Croznium is a Chaplain. Anything wearing an Iron Halo is a Commander/Captain. Also, chainswords look much cooler than combat blades. :cuss

Actually its because once upon a time you could only have one Iron Halo in the army, but a Chaplain ALWAYS came with a Rosarius ;).

Archived