new army in the building

lhg033

following on from playing around with a few ideas for an army list (see here) based on a load of old models i have lying around still on sprues this is to be my new captain for my angels of vengence army though not yet decided on all the bits yet so its only bluetac'ed together.

gallery_20758_4465_6194.jpg

there will be a cable coming from the front of the relic blade just above where the hand is at the front and i'm not sure on the head yet and i need to do somethng witht he banner top.

the plan is to magnetise the combi melta arm so that i can replace it with a version of a gauntlet of the forge to have a counts as vulkan

looking for some feedback on the chest (chose this one as i can greenstuff a hood over the skull for the chapter symbol) and on the tabard plus anything else anyone wants to add.

lhg033

edit: forgot to say that i boorowed a few of my ideas from Ani's commander (see here) - dont want to steal someones ideas and not acknowledge them

• 2 weeks later...

ok - so no feedback on this....

to be honest i've been a bit busy anyway so not checked it until now :S

anyhow - i wasn't entirely sure whether i liked this guy so have changed him about and come up with some alternatives as well.

first - the remodelled original

gallery_20758_4465_33440.jpg

after working around with the model i have grown to like it bit less - thats not to say its not a nice model - i just find it a bit lacking in detail in some places (the arms/elbows are off, between the torso and left arm plus others). however i thought i may as well see what i can do as i've already started. ideally i want to go with a melta combi but think that this fits him better and added a nice detail withthe style and ornamentation on the gun.

second option

gallery_20758_4465_64520.jpg

dont know whether go with this head, a bare one or a helmet of some kind, am torn as i like the way bare heads stand out in the army but am mindful of the stupidity of not having a helmet on. used the chaos termie lord's combi melta and shaved of chaos stuff having realised how plain looking the SM comander one is on the one side.

third option

gallery_20758_4465_33521.jpg

same combi weapon (will need to swap the hand out for a left one if i use this). again dont know on the head.

so....

which do people like? what do they think could be better or should be changed?

have tired using azraels backpack on them to make them a bit more unique but its a bit small looking.

thanks,

lhg033

If you are planning to build DA army then I would have to say that these models do not look monastic enough (no robs, no candles ext.…) Do not take me wrong, your models look good and it seems that your painting skills are good as well… it just, there is not enough from DA in them. I would really like to see you painted test models. AoV color scheme is very simple, but to make it look good is not easy. I am working on my test model (AoV terminator -Deathwing) and I have to say that the most difficult part of the model is highlighting black amour, without spending to much time on it.

All of their arms look uncomfortable. Maybe its the angles of the pictures

I would have to echo this. I think the reason is because each version is carrying too many big weapons. The combimeltas are large, as are all of the various power weapons.

Maybe you could consider holstering or slinging one of the weapons? Maybe place the power weapon across his back, or use one of the Black Templars scabbarded powerswords? That way he doesn't look like he's struggling to use two huge items at the same time.

cheers for the comments so far

i see what you mean about the large weapons - i admit i did think the terminator sized combi weapon was a little over the top and considered taking off the chainsword but decided i like the extra detail of it in the end. i dont think the angles of the photos help either. will have a play with the one weapon holstered idea.

in terms of building a DA army - i'm going codex SM with this one as i already have a DA company plus deathwing and ravenwing armies but there will be some robes in there to tie them in with my other armies - just not a huge fan of robes and cloaks at the same time and the base models here all have cloaks.

The plan for this army is to use some of the models/sprues i've had lying around for an age doing nothing but gather dust. i've test painted a black reach terminator and a normal tactical (though for some reason did the squad markings inverted colours which i need to fix) but they didn't really get much int he way of highlights and now I want to try out the armour painting technique from last months white dwarf for the the legion of the damned so have started assembling a squad of tacticals to test this out with.

photoshop concept for a change to the combimelta

gallery_20758_4465_15540.jpg

would add some sort of over the wrist support similar to the termiator heavy flamer if i make it.

either to be used on the 2nd option body or the company master body thats holding the cloak with his other hand with the (yet to be decided) relic blade across his back or at his hip.

thoughts on this version of the weapon before i chop it up to try making it?

ok - started to build the underslung combi-melta as i had a spare one. making these in my lunch break at work so bit patchy on how much i can get done

so - another option would be something like this

gallery_20758_4465_4092.jpg

side

gallery_20758_4465_15660.jpg

with the relic blade on the back

gallery_20758_4465_8998.jpg

i need to finish the GS on the grip on the combi melta and tidy up the top of it and would have to make some sort of weapon harness for the blade.

so what do people thing of this version?

I have to say, that last one looks mighty well-done. However, I have to agree with brother Retributis - with his current pose, I think that the blade's handle should be facing the other direction. Other than that, the only thing I think would be to maybe use one of the hooded heads from the DA Vets sprue? Adds that monastic, Unforgiven feel, I think. Those aside, excellent work! Might have to borrow the idea for that relic blade at some point...

~Ani

Archived