Space marines veterans

Skunkers Moe T.

I was wondering if anyone can tell me if it is legal to take a unit of Space marine veterans? Do they cost the same points as regular marines or what? I knew in earlier codexes you could but now I am not sure if that unit can be fielded. Sorry if this is a dumb question, first post ever. Thank you.

It depends on which flavor of Space Marines you are playing. In Codex: Space Marines, it is not legal the unit has been split into Sternguard Veterans and Vanguard Veterans.

Yeah, someone at GW had teh bright idea to give Veteran Assault Squads, which were previously a unique speciality of the Blood Angels, to all Codex Marines. Now there are two different tyoes of Veterans you can chose for a Codex Space Marines army. The normal "tactical" Veterans are now called "Sternguard Veterans", and they come with special ammo for their boltguns. The Veteran Assault Squads are called "Vanguard Veterans" and are a Fast Attack choice instead of an Elite choice. They are basically Veterans with close combat weapons. You could give them jump packs as well, but that makes them very expensive. They work well without the packs and with a Rhino or Drop Pod instead. The plain old "Veteran Squads" would be the Sternguards now.

Archived