2 inch blast scatters, does it hit original target?

IanV

I'm of the opinion that a 2-inch scatter on a blast weapon doesn't hit the original model (talking about standard infantry bases here not the termie ones) if you designate the center of the model's base as the target of the blast marker. I even measured it. They just don't touch. Standard bases are slightly less than an inch (by .4 mm!!! I know, I know... but still, it's not 1 inch) and the blast marker is 3 inches. 2 inches from center to center, they just don't touch. Some people claim they do but that's probably just parallax.

However if you place the blast marker off-center (which is legal as it's clearly illustrated on pg.30 of the BRB) but still over the base (let's say to the left) and the blast scatters 2 inches, then there is a possibility that the marker clips the original target (if it scatters right).

The reason I ask is that in a recent game I placed my blast marker over my opponent's model, it scattered 2 inches, and I scored 2 hits. He was even gentleman enough to ask, "You sure it's not three?". I said. "No it's two." and he just shrugs it off. Next he hits me with a blast. He placed the on one of my models, it also scattered 2 inches and he claimed four hits. I said, "No, it should only be three." as he misses the original target. I then went on and explained why I didn't claim three hits before. Since I was courteous enough not to claim the third hit the previous turn, he gave me the courtesy of not claiming four hits this turn... and we went on to have a great game (and there were no more 2-inchers for the rest of it).

So, do any of you guys have conventions for 2-inch scatters? What's the typical ruling on this? Do you observe for off-center placements? Because I really don't want to have to scrutinize my opponents' blast placement and seem like an over-competitive anus, neither do I want to have to explain myself and possibly get in an argument with my opponent every time a 2-incher happens.

PS. Will be reading this tomorrow, thanks.

It depends on who it is and how important the game is but in our group we generally just move it about 2 inches in the direction, we just guess. Anything too big we measure but it's generally deemed pointless getting a tape measure out for a 1-3 inch scatter when we can guess the right distance easily. Of course in some situations people start getting funny and insist on getting half the shop to come see what they think. But mostly we have a good group that is honest so it keeps things fun and simple without getting all unpleasant.

I tend to get called over a lot to see how many people I think are under the template as I seem to have a good eye for it.

I set up a mini and tried measuring from the hole over the edge of the mini and directly over the mini with a 2" scatter. When the template was centered over the model, it's not under the template. Starting with the hole over the left edge of the mini, it's still under when you scatter 2" directly to the right. That's why we try to get directly over the models affected after the scatter to ensure the maximum killy-ness of the shot. :lol:

And where I play we measure all scatters. Although with a 3" scatter on a small template or 5" scatter on a large template it's easy enough to flip it to see where it hits. We also roll the scatter die as close as possible to the unit or model affected to minimize parallax issues from across the table.

If you're measuring millimeters in a game of inches, you're thinking too hard. Hold the template where it's supposed to have scattered, if it covers part of the base, it hits. If not, it doesn't.

This is lessof a rules question and more of apoll about how anal people can be at the table.

I'm of the opinion that a 2-inch scatter on a blast weapon doesn't hit the original model (talking about standard infantry bases here not the termie ones) if you designate the center of the model's base as the target of the blast marker.

[...]

Do you observe for off-center placements?

Centre of model's base as target? Off-centre placements?

Blast weapon markers centre hole must be over any part of the target models' base [bRB p30]. You do not need to centre the hole over the model like you did in 4th ed.

As long as this basic criteria is being met, then if the base is still being covered then it's a legit hit.

Cheers

I

@Ashe

That's sort of my problem. Guesstimation. Not an issue of course if you and your opponent think the same way. But what if you don't? And cheers on your group.

@Ian

I completely agree with you. Off-center to the left, scatter left=miss, scatter right=hit. Unfortunately not everyone plays it that way.

@shiny

Not really about being anal. It's just that some people might, without realizing it, be claiming hits on models not really under the marker

(Arguments have arisen over smaller issues). That and I've just painted up a 3 PC 1 ML dev squad, so I'm gonna be dealing with a lot of blast measurements.

Hmmm, you've got a point. This isn't really a rules question, my apologies then. I'll just talk this over with my buds. See if we can house rule 2" scatters.

@Isiah

Not saying that off-center placements aren't legal. Again it's about people claiming hits without measuring properly.

This thing came up today. I was chatting to someone about it during our game and we kinda agreed that a 2 inch scatter on a small blast would miss based on what you said and that's how we played it for that game. So thanks IanV, you saved quite a few of my guys today :D

Yeah, he had that Russ variant with the plasma cannons so there was a lot of small blasts going on, and quite a few 2 inch scatters oddly enough. I love days like this where I read something on here and it ends up being very apt later on in the day.

Archived