I can see you...

Seahawk

Has anyone ever come across the problem described in the title? Twice now, in all of my games, I've had it where I can by RAW see a target, but due to terrain by RAW it cannot see me and fire back. The first time was a predator at a wraithlord in a ruin; the upper floor where its "eyes" are was a solid wall, but I could shoot its legs.

The more recent occurrance was with my whirlwind shooting over a wall. By RAW LOS is measured from my barrels; the barrels of the older whirlwind sit higher up than the turret, thus allowing my whirlwind to "see" over the wall it was hiding behind. From the other direction, the wall blocked LOS to everything but the upper parts of the barrels. As the "Shooting at Vehicles" section specifically says you must draw LOS to the hull and not barrels, the poor IG saps out there couldn't even shoot me, though I could barrage and still subtract my BS. We played it that he could shoot me anyway for a 3+ cover save, but that's because it made more sense.

How would you play such situations?

I think non-vehicle models should have a bit of leeway in how they could potentially be posed, so that it would not make a difference whether a player models his minies standing, kneeling or lying down. I.e. you draw LOS to a model as if it was standing, but you can draw LOS from a model as if it was either standing or kneeling, and possibly laying down if the opponent is feeling generous.

For vehicles, you usually have to measure a weapon's LOS from the weapon mounting, so normally whenever a vehicle has LOS, the target can also see at least the part of the vehicle's hull where the weapon is mounted. However, LOS is also supposed to be drawn from the mounting along the weapon's barrel, so the rules kind of expect simple gun barrels attached to a sponson or turret, not a carriage of missiles. I would say you either go by the point where the carriage is mounted on the vehicle's hull or you go by the carriage, but count that as part of the vehicle instead of just a "gun barrel".

you played it right seehawk. Though with the whirlwinds, I would have let them shoot the whirlwind (with obvious cover save) as you CAN target turrets, and to me the whrilwind doesnt have gun barrels. Its close enouph to be semantics but I would consider the whole of the launcher on top of the whirlwind to be "turret"

Archived