My first HQ

fishsticks

So I finally got my first HQ unit (Other than the one in the AoBR set) and finished painting it. I have painted my AoBR set and half of my veteran squad. I am just wondering what you guys think about it and if there is anything I can do better.

They are Ultramarines (Forgot to add)

(Dont mind the 2 vets lol)

gallery_49962_4207_314042.jpg

gallery_49962_4207_128237.jpg

gallery_49962_4207_91450.jpg

gallery_49962_4207_158233.jpg

Very clean paint job all around. The only thing that sticks out as needing improvement is the gun barrels. It's a nit-picky thing, I know, but they're really rather small. If you could manage to get those wider in the future you're solid!

I agree, they're rather small at the moment. But then that can be a good thing as it allows you to correct mistakes like misplaced drilling. By using a round-shaped micro file and exterting a little pressure, I'm able to enlarge the hole and also shift it back to the intended position. I'm finding that with many of my miniatures (metal ones especially) it pays off to drill a smaller pilot hole before going back with a larger second drill bit and the file. For plastics I can use the pinpoint end of a sculpting tool to create a starting point to guide my pin-vice.

From my perspective, fishsticks simply has to go back to finish off the job on the barrel holes. Better than having to fill with GS and re-drill.

Archived