My Alpha Legion Paint Scheme---An Odd Question

he_plays_guitar

My Alpha Legion Space Marines are almost done, but I have a different kind of question I usually don't find myself asking. Normally, Chaos Marines have horns, but my Alpha Legion do not since they've never been in the eye of terror. Usually it's easy to recognize a champion or sergeant because of the spiky backpack, trophy rack, and all that. But mine do not have any of that, so my question is: How do I paint my champion (or sergeant) differently to make him stand out? Since Alpha Legion are still technically renegades they wouldn't follow the codex and have their sergeant's helmets painted red would they? That was one option I was thinking of, or maybe just painting a different color trim around the shoulder pads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I'm at a loss as of now. I suppose I could add a cape? But I have six squads of ten...and I dont have that many capes, and I suck at greenstuffing. Let me know if you have any ideas, I'd love them! Here are some of my painted ones:

http://i39.photobucket.com/albums/e198/wailingfrycook/Other/DSC_0001-2.jpg

Well, a good way to identify a champion is the standard power sword or power fist arm. Do not need to change anything scheme wise.

edit-Also, I really like this scheme. It is superbly done, a very good representation of what is a confusing color scheme at best.

I've just started getting back into the game after many years apart from it and was thinking of doing an Alpha legion army after reading Legion. Thought about having champions and chosen with some sort of markings from the pre heresy days as if they had been in the Effrit Stealth Squads. Perhaps some black shoulder pad or leg guard here and there

Thank you all for your input. I like the idea of pre-heresy markings and ties to the Effrit squads, I may have to play around with that idea. And the different color helmet and shoulder pads is a good idea too, one I was already throwing around so I might try it on a test subject and see how it turns out.

And I know they look really extreme highlighted but they are less extreme in person, the flash makes them look like they are glowing! I think I need to tone it down a little anyway, I hate the way they look in the picture. Thanks for all your input!

Awesome Alpha Legion ;)

First time I think I've seen the scheme from the Codex done well on a model(s)

As far as your question is concerned, for the Champion, you could just reverse the colur scheme; so everything that was green paint blue and vice versa. This would allow you to keep your colour scheme intact whilst at the same time making the Champ stand out.

Wow, I'm impressed. I might just have to steal that scheme for my Alpha Legion cell. It'll probably be using C:SM rules and a mix of loyalist and chaos sprues. Probably will avoid anything with arrows on it.

To be fair I sort of feel like for the Alpha Legion the most thematic way you can distinguish your sergeants is not doing so at all. If they have no special equipment, just put a trophy helmet or weapon on their base. I'm going to be forgoing markings on mine, I think.

After all, each one of them is Alpharius.

Archived