Looted Macragge Banner

Aerixis

A commission I thought I'd share withn the B&C!

A client asked me to create a banner for his Grot army. The character intending to bear this banner would be a grot piloting a Ghazghkull-type cybork body, so I figured, "he's a big guy, probably quite strong, what would look awesome that would have a good narrative behind it?"

I didn't want to do a typical grot style banner, that'd look to predictable. So I painted Marneus Calgars Macragge banner and made it look defiled, burnt and torn.

The chaos marauder banner was perfect for this!

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/i/2010/034/a/c/The_Fall_of_Calgar_by_Aerixis.jpg

Took about 6 hours give or take, obviously from the Space Marine codex as reference.

I want to do more things like these, I feel they may be worth buying.

+++Mod Edit+++

You can see my deathwing standard here!

Let me know what you think!

Comments and criticisms always welcome!

Interesting, though the motif is good, the damage brings it down, you need better damage, look at a real piece of burnt cloth it could help. Cheers, Mordeus

Yeah I know I really should have checked some reference as I was doing it, I realised after that I didn't need THAT much burning fabric, it should've been limited to just the edges.

Let it be a lesson learned, when you feel tired....just leave it and continue when you're awake.

Looks awsome :lol:

Maybe add some bullet holes through it? All the bullets flying around a 40K battlefield, some of them must hit the banner :)

Maybe add a few orky icons on the top of the banner as well?

Still, Looks awsome none the less, good job :D

Hehe well i happens to agrea with mr. Terrible Trygon here ;) Omegon is and have been ruling for a long time.. why ells do you think that Marneus is so though..? its becaus its Omegon hehe ;)

it will all be reveald in the new Legion codex.. ;)

But very nice banner though its a bloodletter baner with the ikon removed if im not mistaken....

could be cool to have on some chaos marines too btw with a couple chaos items and tokens on it.. :)

Looks awsome

Maybe add some bullet holes through it? All the bullets flying around a 40K battlefield, some of them must hit the banner :tu:

Maybe add a few orky icons on the top of the banner as well?

Still, Looks awsome none the less, good job :D

Lol, It's actually for a Grot army! I'm letting him doll it up with glyphs and stufff, I just painted it. Ottherwise the way I paint gglyphs and ions it'd stand out too much against his own work...

You'd have more chance of getting Abaddon to do a tap dance than kill Calgar my friend :P

Yeah I know! And it's a GROT army! 2500pts worth of ggrots and Ork Nob Bikers!

Hehe well i happens to agrea with mr. Terrible Trygon here :) Omegon is and have been ruling for a long time.. why ells do you think that Marneus is so though..? its becaus its Omegon hehe :D

it will all be reveald in the new Legion codex.. ;)

But very nice banner though its a bloodletter baner with the ikon removed if im not mistaken....

could be cool to have on some chaos marines too btw with a couple chaos items and tokens on it.. :)

Yeah It miht well have been, I thought it was the Marauder one but after hearing that I dont think it was!

Ahhhh, the rancid smell of ultrahate

Or is that the smell of jelousy? I forget :P

Anyway, back on topic lol

You said you may do more things like this

Any clues what your next project may be??

Well, I've got a tutorial thread teaching how to convert a better techmarine Servo-Harness, a painting thread for the same thing, and I'm working on the Salamanders 2nd, 5th and 1st company banners!

And I've got loads more shots of my painted and converted Minis which I'm planning to show everyone!

Woo! Stay tuned...

Archived