Drop Pods

IronDuke

Right, straight off the bat I apologise if this has been answered elsewhere...I have had a brief look with the searchy, but couldn't find the answer here.

Now, I understand with drop pods you can combat squad once the pod has landed, so you leave 5 men with a heavy weapon by the pod and the other 5 with serg and assault weapon go legging it towards the enemy. That is fine.

My question is, is it possible to combat squad before this? Can I deploy the 5 men with heavy weapon at the start of the game, and then the remaining 5 come in via the drop pod turn one? In all honesty it may not be a great idea tactically, I am just intrigued as to whether or not its possible.

Cheers, ID

To keep a unit in reserve you choose to not deploy it when deploying your army.They become available in later turns and are deployed then, coming from your table edge/deepstrike/whatever...

Combat squadding happen's when the unit itself is deployed.

I'm not sure if it's possible to "drop pod" one half and let the other half walk in from the table edge, but deploying one half and keeping the other in reserve isn't possible

you may not do so. as stated by Bt2278 units in reserve are not deployed, and combat squading happens at deployment.

the unit is a single 10 man unit in your army list, therefore when choosing to deploy or put in reserves, you must make that choice for the entire unit. When you put a unit in reserve you must declare how it will enter play and what IC are attached, and if they are embarked in a transport. This decision may not be changed (with the exception of using trygon tunnels, due to trygon tunnels own special rules). Thus if you choose to enter play embarked drop pod, the entire 10 man unit MUST enter play via drop pod. This is also what prevents you from coming in from reserves with a combat squad embarked in a razor back, because when it was placed in reserves it was a 10 man unit and could not fit inside the razorback. Additionally if they enter from reserve embarked in a vehicle that can fit them, such as a rhino or landraider, then they cannot be combat squaded as the entire unit must enter embarked, and a transport can only hold one unit (plus IC) at a time, the only exception being the drop pod due to special rules within the combat squad rules themselves.

Due to slightly more leniency during initial deployment (as opposed to coming in from reserves) you may have a combat squad embarked at this time (or even have both embarked in different vehicles, assuming you have non-dedicated transports to place the second one in). However you may never have on combat squad on the field and the other half in reserve.

Archived