Finished Ultramarines Tactical Marines

winterdyne

Blue recipe:

Black undercoat / basecoat. Good 'n' solid.

Airbrush on a thin spritzing of Mordian Blue all over, from all directions

Do it again - you want it definitely blue tinted.

Airbrush on 50-50 Mordian Blue / Ultramarine Blue, from top hemisphere (all round, downward to horizontal angles).

Repeat with pure Ultramarine Blue, angle now about 45deg downward.

Repeat with 80-20 Ultramarine Blue / Space Wolf Grey (looks a bit lighter than shadow grey), quite tight downward angle.

Do details and stuff now.

Touchup with mordian blue / black mix as appropriate for the area you're working on.

Highlight edges with Ultramarine Blue. Extreme highlights with shadow grey. Glaze and spot wash with Asurmen blue where needed.

What's the intent with the bases? It looks a little like the boards you get running through sand-dunes down this way, but I guess that's not the effect you're going for. It's unusual to see that kind of natural structure, rather than metal and gratings.

What's the intent with the bases? It looks a little like the boards you get running through sand-dunes down this way, but I guess that's not the effect you're going for. It's unusual to see that kind of natural structure, rather than metal and gratings.

Pretty much exactly the effect I was going for. I wanted a 'disused' look to the boards - sort of like they've been sitting outside getting a bit mouldy for a few years. This helps keep the overall tone of the base very neutral allowing it to be used on as wide a variety of surfaces as possible.

Archived