the black legion

jmlee

When you paint your black legion, what scheme do you all use? For example, with berserkers, do you paint them as world eaters, or do you paint them black with world eaters helmets like in the codex? I just want to know because I haven't seen how it looks as a whole in the army. Which do you guys like better?

Unfortunately, my BL brzrkrs are painted as WE's but with some black armor, most sholder pads, some legs, etc. (I painted them along time ago and didn't know any better, and all pic's of brzrkrs showed them in WE's paint scheme ^_^ )

I keep saying I'm going to buy a sprue of reg csm heads, paint them in BL colors and break the bunny ears heads off and attach the reg heads. That way they will at least have BL helmits. (totally repainting them just seems too much trouble at this point)

I have another squad of brzrkrs totally unpainted. They are jsut going to be in BL colors with all the khorne symbols painted in bronze. they willl also have reg csm helmits, not bunny ears.

I think brzrkrs (and other cult troops) in a BL army look best painted in BL colors. Looks more uniified. Also they are black legionaires that worship khorne, not WE's, so why would they have WE's colors ??

My berzerkers are black with red pads and helmet, although they are we who have sworn allegiance to the bl.

My thousand sons will be similar, a friend is painting some plague marines as rusty bl... not sure how i'm going to do noise marines yet.

My zerkers' have red helms, pads w/ gold + silver trim, black armour. They still have the WE insignia as they are too proud to change that. They are more like auxillary units than directly inducted into my Black Company, not Black Legionares.

OT- I think the 4 powers troops shouldn't be made by the BL directly at all as the new dex fluff states (eg- BL having own bezerker surgens) but as auxillia troops who rotate through the black companies as needed/ requisioned when they become part of the legion. They are not true BL legionares and insignia should show as much. Same for SM renegades/ traitors who join up. By all means wear the colours but do not dare to wear the eye of Horous as they were not of Horous's seed.

They still have the WE insignia as they are too proud to change that. They are more like auxillary units than directly inducted into my Black Company, not Black Legionares.

OT- I think the 4 powers troops shouldn't be made by the BL directly at all as the new dex fluff states (eg- BL having own bezerker surgens) but as auxillia troops who rotate through the black companies as needed/ requisioned when they become part of the legion. They are not true BL legionares and insignia should show as much. Same for SM renegades/ traitors who join up. By all means wear the colours but do not dare to wear the eye of Horous as they were not of Horous's seed.

But before the crap fluff in this craptastic dex that contradicts everything written before it, BL brzrkrs were black legionaires that worshiped khorne, they did have Horus' geneseed. Only in thorpedex did BL become a homeless shelter for wayward csm's :o

You did yours as auxilia, and that's fine, but they certainly would not have to be done that way, there would be thousands of true BL brzrkrs.

My zerkers and PM's are painted in standard BL colors. To add a little distinction to the zerkers I've used the bunny ear helmets, just shaved off the bunny ears. I think it looks pretty cool, and it gives another layer of distinction from my standard csm squads.

Scheme wise, I'm going with the newest dex's all gold trim, as opposed to the 3.5 dex which had gold shoulder trim and silver everywhere else. I think gold all around looks better, but that's just me.

I am planning on eventually adding slaanesh and tzeentch troops, but I'm currently undecided as to how I'm going to paint them...

Archived