fluffy units in your army

Demoulius

hello guys,

im slowly thinking about getting back to my chaos army. ive gotten the crazy idea somewhere about adding a chaos dread in my force for fluff reasons (former lord got overthrown and put into the dread as punishment) and er well.....as the topic title says, does anyone else do this as well?

im more a fun over winning player so im not really concerned about whetever or not hes a good option or not. ive already got a defiler lying around and i know hes a better choice (seems to me anyway) but really but does anyone else add (or exclude for a reason?) certain units?

I use my dread when I'm feeling gutsy, because he usually turns on me right when I need him not to. That's about the only unit I think we worry about. Others are take as needed. It does make the game interesting though. And mine has helped me several times actually.

I ran a dread for couple of games awhile back, and like jmlee sz, they go crazy just when you nned them most. Once when he could have droped a plaz template in the middle of a 12 man blood claws squad, he rolled rage, he was too far away to reach anyone, and just ran out in the middle of the board so he could be shot at my opponents convenience. Another time I needed him to break left to attack some incoming bikers, he rolled rage and had to attack some s/m that were about to be chopped into little pieces by a sqaud of brzrkrs b/c they were about 1" closer, dread didn't even get to swing b/c the int.5 brzrkrs killed all the s/m. another time I needed him in a desperate CC, he rolls FF and stands the firing his plaz cannon at my guys killing 2 (it wasn't really killing my guys that was so annoying, it was that I needed him in the CC). After that he went back in the box.

You could deamonify you dread some, and use him as a DP. Then the fluff could be that the chaos lord was grievously injured, was put in the dread to keep him alive so he could still lead the army and has since assended to DP.

Dreads are fantastic! There are just a few secrets to "handling" them.

1) Leave the expensive, powerful ranged upgrades at home. TL-Las, ML, Plasma...taking one of these is just ASKING for him to go nuts and blow up something important from your side of the board. TL Autocannon, while expensive points-wise, is a safe choice, as is TL Heavy Bolter. The best one, though, is a second CC Arm with Heavy Flamer built-in.

2) Use them as a flanking distraction. Try to deploy him away from stuff he might accidentally blow up, and FORCE your opponent to deal with him.

3) Read the discussions regarding how to resolve Fire Frenzy, in particular the issue of "line of sight". There have been tons of threads on here dealing with it, let's not rehash the fighting now...you can read them yourself elsewhere. In my opinion (and many others, depending on how you interpret the rules of LoS as written), Fire Frenzy is nowhere near as dangerous as most people think it is.

Remember - these aren't Loyalist Dreds. They can't be relied on to destroy tanks or provide firepower when you need it. The key is FORCING your opponent to deal with the Dred on YOUR terms. The CC Dred (two CC arms, with Heavy Flamer) costs a WHOPPING 105...hardly a big investment in large games, and yet it is definitely a credible threat that your opponent must deal with.

I field them with 2DCCW and send them dashing up a flank. normally works well-if the enemy shoot him they are playing into my hands (id rather have them shoot my dread rather than the rest of my army!). If the enemy dont shoot my dread, i make them pay for it by doing as much damage as possible!

Use them as a flanking distraction. Try to deploy him away from stuff he might accidentally blow up, and FORCE your opponent to deal with him.

chaos armies are short range best work at 12" or smaller . deployment is natuarly tailored to that , so the rhinos /LR/DP get in to that range as fast as possible [specialy as we lack a second long range support slot ,unless one counts termicid as that , but those kind of a random] . If the dread is suppose to pose a treat for the enemy he has to be close to him [and not single lascanons , autocanons , plasmacanons in the age of cover+4 everywhere is not a powerful option , even without going crazy] , so how is my army and my dread suppose to go for the same objectives[get close to the enemy] , but not stay close? unless the board is 4x4 with a huge impassible LoS blocking terrain in the middle I dont see how this suppose to work .

Archived