Multiple Assaults, Vehicle's exploding, and Combat Res

thade

Here's the scenario:

Unit of Nob Bikers assault my Devestator squad and, in doing so, puts a Power Klaw nob in BtB with a Whirlwind only. The PK nob manages to inflict a Detonate result on the Whirlwind, inflicting no wounds on my squad (out of range) but four on his own (none saved...I know, right?). At the end of that combat the WW was gone, I had inflicted 2 wounds (not counting the WW's boom) and he had inflicted 4 on mine.

My reading of the rules was that the vehicle has no effect on combat res, so the wounds it inflicted were meaningless there, and thus I lost combat by 2 and took the requisite morale check. I'm posting here to make sure I was right.

Well it says count the number of wounds each side inflicted on their opponent. If you hit something that can in turn hurt you back then why wouldn't those wounds count. Your model caused them. Is it any different that counting wounds caused by hitting Lucius?

There is a group in America that nit picked through the rulebook and posted their FAQ on it somewhere and when it came to this they said they do count.

“In a multiple fight including enemy vehicles and other unit types, the result of the fight is worked out as normal against the latter, ignoring the vehicles.” page 63 under Combat Results

“Each roll made on the Vehicle Damage table against a walker counts as a single wound for the purposes of working out who won in combat.” page 73 under Walkers and Assaults

I think this situation falls outside what could be answered by the rule book. Rule as Written (and that phrase seems to be getting me in trouble lately) the wounds caused by an exploding vehicle do not have an “owner”. Rule as Intended I can see either way being argued the unit that caused the explosion would also get credit for the extra wounds or since the vehicle caused the wounds the owning player gets credit for those wounds or a nonwalker vehicle does not participate in the assault phase so explosion wounds do not count for any resolution.

In the end I think you came to the correct conclusion that you lost close combat by 2 wounds.

Ashe Drake I think you are talking about the Adepticon Living Rule Book (INAT FAQ). It is a good resource but sometimes their rulings are questionable or they overstep their bounds by rewriting rules.

I commend the group of people for the effort of attempting to clarify all of these products but some of it especially the latest with the new Tyranid codex seemed slightly off. Very least it is good for finding a consensus for some rule disputes.

Archived