Combat Squads & Transports that are not Drop Pods

Lord Mongol

So, new Space Marine Codex, 5th edition Rule Book.

Combat Squads means I can take a ten man Tactical Squad and break it into two five man Combat Squads. Each one is a separate unit.

Dedicated transports allow me to purchase a Rhino for said Tactical Squad. Transport rules say I can only have one unit in a transport.

So only one Combat Squad can be in my Rhino at one time? I cannot have a Rhino carry two Combat Squads into battle?

I'm pretty sure those are the rules. I can understand why from a rules balance perspective but I really can't justify it any other way in my mind.

Opinions? Corrections?

there is one little thing about the transports. You can only have one unit inside at a time, but you are able to use said transport as a taxi of sorts. It can transport any unit that it can but only one at a time. So you can have your dedicated rhino carry both combat squads just not at the same time.

Right, so I'm not taking crazy pills...

So the only way to deploy into combat squads from a single transport is the Drop Pod. Doesn't that seem... lame?

I mean, is the sergeant incapable of letting go of command? :) Does the second fire team leader simple forget all his space marine training and follow the sergeant? :) To me this seems contrary to the fluff, which is not rules, I know, but there's even diagrams of space marines deploying into combat squads from Rhinos in FW books.

I guess I'm not crazy, I'm just disappointed. :)

Aaahhh you see the rules have to work for everyone or they wont work at all. It seems as if they couldnt write a way of getting combat squadding and Rhino transporting to work fluidly so they didnt bother.

Still I think the rules work well overall so I wont bemoan them (not accusing anyone else of this by the way). Does it make sense from a logical point? No. Does it work in the game? Yes largely.

Wan

Right, so I'm not taking crazy pills...

So the only way to deploy into combat squads from a single transport is the Drop Pod. Doesn't that seem... lame?

I mean, is the sergeant incapable of letting go of command? :HQ: Does the second fire team leader simple forget all his space marine training and follow the sergeant? :) To me this seems contrary to the fluff, which is not rules, I know, but there's even diagrams of space marines deploying into combat squads from Rhinos in FW books.

I guess I'm not crazy, I'm just disappointed. :HS:

its just one of those things, I mean by fluff any unit from any army could split up, you simply go "Johnson, take Fredriks, Marten, Chopstick and Smithy and go left, everyone else with me to the right) there is no reason they HAVE to stay to gether as a sinlge unit (fluf wise).

I'm not trying to be critical of the rules. They do work hard and deliver an excellent product. I just kinda wish they had written the Drop Pod rule in for the Rhino or allowed the purchase of two transports for Combat Squads. Thanks for the input!

if you wanted to have two combat squads each with a rhino you would have to have them separate from the list making. For instance you could easily run two 5-man squads each with a rhino but you would not be able to put a heavy weapon in because neither squad was ever 10 strong. Although you could give each 5-man squad a special weapon, which I have done at times. Anyway... thats pretty much the only way to get combat squads to have their own rhinos. =)

if you wanted to have two combat squads each with a rhino you would have to have them separate from the list making. For instance you could easily run two 5-man squads each with a rhino but you would not be able to put a heavy weapon in because neither squad was ever 10 strong. Although you could give each 5-man squad a special weapon, which I have done at times. Anyway... thats pretty much the only way to get combat squads to have their own rhinos. =)

you may not give a 5 man squad a special weapon, the squad must be 10 strong for both special and heavy weapons. Unless by special weapon you mean sergent with a plasmapistal/combi-something. Or you are not playing Codex Space Marines.

you may not give a 5 man squad a special weapon, the squad must be 10 strong for both special and heavy weapons. Unless by special weapon you mean sergent with a plasmapistal/combi-something. Or you are not playing Codex Space Marines.

True true Frostry but looking at wheelballer's avatar then he's used to the DA Codex ;).

Cheers

I

Archived