doom of malan'tai

khurdur

I met this guy two days ago in battle...I slaughtered my way across a tyranid horde of termagaunts and tervigons until he hit me

Killed 5 berzerkers and 5 plague marines in one turn, pretty much ended the game for me.

He seems a bit cheezy for 90 points.

Any ideas to deal with him? Instant death seems to be the solution but against a 3+ invul save it seems a waste of melta shots...

Does feel no pain work against wounds he inflicts from his leadership test attacks?

Does feel no pain work against wounds he inflicts from his leadership test attacks?
As it's ability specifically mention that you do not get an armour save I'd say no.

As for dealing with it, toss a Lascannon/Krak Missile/Powerfist or two it's way and it should crumble. Going for Instant Death is preferable to knocking off it's 4+ wounds unless you happen to be in Rapid Fire range with 10 CSM or combi-plasma Terminators (which you probably shouldn't be considering it's ranged attack?).

This guy's best bet of being horrible is to mycetic spore into your ranks and do his life essence. If he sits at the back of the board then keep him there. If you have vehicles then stick in them as anyone trying to pull the 'it can affect passengers' crap with me will get slapped. If you can knock a wound or two off him then he's either useless as his attack with kill him or he will go in and try and use the essence thing. This is where you lock him in combat if you can as at S2-3 he's not gonna be able to do much.

Instant deathing him seemed like a good idea to me until I saw how many 3+ invuns get passed. You could fire 6 lascannons at him and do nothing and if there are other big things out there that don't have invuns then those things are best shot at instead.

Fresh off the line Doom of Malan'tai will die like a 4 wound marine so a butt load of bolters will strip him of wounds if you wanna get that close. Basically you gotta deny him the chance of getting any extra wounds so cover and vehicles. If you can force him to use the blast attack attack while on 4 wounds then things like sitting in vehicles or in cover will really bone him so you really wanna keep the distance between you and him. This is probably where your game went wrong as you said you moved up the board towards him because the essence is the best way of getting wounds when low on wounds and seen as he can do it in both player's turns it's pretty nasty.

Other things to remember is that if he does use the blast attack he loses the D3 wounds BEFORE he gains the ones back from killing. So if he is on 1 wound left no matter how many people he kills via that attack he's dead.

A guy at my club used him against me mate and he said that it is all over the internet that you can affect models in transports.

I disagreed with him cause it says every none vehicle unit.

You cant target models in a vehicle cause you cant shoot at them either you shoot at the vehicle.

But anyway he instant killed him after two rounds of combat with his Slanesh Sorcerror anyway so that was fun to see :)

Do we really need another Doom post? As was mentioned above, there are hundreds of them already, even on this site. Until it's clarified by GW in a FAQs, sounds like you should either not play someone with it or "dice off" to settle the rule.

A guy at my club used him against me mate and he said that it is all over the internet that you can affect models in transports.

I disagreed with him cause it says every none vehicle unit.

You cant target models in a vehicle cause you cant shoot at them either you shoot at the vehicle.

But anyway he instant killed him after two rounds of combat with his Slanesh Sorcerror anyway so that was fun to see :D

The problem is it's not a shooting attack or a psychic attack... if it was I would be all good... Right now I have no idea what GW's intention is... Good Job GW...

If this is an issue for now and you can't agree I suggest a dice off, bias the dice off if you want.

The INAT faq has ruled that they do affect units in vehicles. I know its not a gw faq, so I say it doesn't count. However, most tyranid players will argue strongly for it once they see its been faqed like that. I think its stupid to say it can hit units in vehicles. But be ready for an arguement.

As it's ability specifically mention that you do not get an armour save I'd say no.

As for dealing with it, toss a Lascannon/Krak Missile/Powerfist or two it's way and it should crumble. Going for Instant Death is preferable to knocking off it's 4 wounds unless you happen to be in Rapid Fire range with 10 CSM or combi-plasma Terminators (which you probably shouldn't be considering it's ranged attack?).

could the humble and mostly over looked (in preference to daemon princes) undivided lord with daemon weapon with his high number of attacks be the way to deal with multi-wound nids?

The INAT faq has ruled that they do affect units in vehicles. I know its not a gw faq, so I say it doesn't count. However, most tyranid players will argue strongly for it once they see its been faqed like that. I think its stupid to say it can hit units in vehicles. But be ready for an arguement.

Get the FAQ in context. Being in the vehicle gives a 4++ which shows even they are unsure how to deal with it.

A CC Defiler could cause it problems. Str 10 and with a better Int does really hurt.

I always kill it with something that will cause instant death. It usually does manage to do a fair amount of damage on the turn it arrives. And it will do damage on your turn as well because its every shooting phase, not just thiers. It dies fast, but causes a lot of wounds as well.

sorry to post here without adding anything but uh...how the hell can it influence stuff in transports? :) this would be the ONLY unit in the ENTIRE GAME to be able to do this....
It's also the only unit in the entire game (as far as I know) which has a rule that is phrased like Spirit Leech - hence the hubbub. ;)

That isn't true at all. There are plenty of things that affect units within a radius.

If a Psycher Battle Squad in a transport that's within 24" of your Librarian used a psychic power, you'd be able to shut it down.

A unit of Wraithguard in a transport within 6" of a Farseer shouldn't have to test for Wraithsight.

No others leap to mind, but I'm sure there are more out there.

Point is, Spirit Leech isn't the only ability that affects units in vehicles, nor is it the only one that is worded similarly.

Failed Wraithsight when they're in a vehicle is hilarious as if it becomes wrecked or destroyed they all die.

how so? i thought they would just be immobile on a failed test..

On topic : as said before, instant death does the trick, I've got nids myself and altough I don't use the "Doom" normal zoanthropes die easily.. mass bolterfire or, instant death.. an 'zerker squad with PF champ should mince it :lol:

Hell any given chaos marine squad with a PF champ would make short work out of it..

or throw in a dread/defiler

theres a thread going on in the rules section about a mythic pod not dying when its tank shocked....since it cant get out of the way i call shenanigans but basicly they pull a RAW ploy on saying that units are "moved out of the way" instead of it saying that the model MOVES out of the way...cant see how the eldar thingies couldnt do that either....

but enough about that. shooting out of a vehicle is something different from shooting inside a vehicle, which you cant do and which is exactly my point....

does the power specifcly say it effects people in transports? cause imho it cant otherwise...why? theres a tank between the doom of malan'ti and the squad...cant effect those that are in a transports becuas theyre 'not on the table"

pull a RAW ploy on saying that units are "moved out of the way" instead of it saying that the model MOVES out of the wa

am not sure about the english version [and that is the most important one] and I dont have it with me at work [and dont want to download it] , but [correct me if am wrong]. isnt the tank/transport/unit that is tank shocked placed and not moved . Because again if it was move it would crash the game , if you would tank shock a pined unit .

but enough about that. shooting out of a vehicle is something different from shooting inside a vehicle, which you cant do and which is exactly my point....

dooms life drain is not a shooting attack.

does the power specifcly say it effects people in transports? cause imho it cant otherwise...why? theres a tank between the doom of malan'ti and the squad...cant effect those that are in a transports becuas theyre 'not on the table"

nothing has such a rule , because the rules says units in transports can be hurt by shoting and melee attacks unless their transport is blow up . But Dooms action is not a shoting or melee attack , it is a special rule. the only way to know how a special rule [not a shoting attack] affects transported units is to check how other stuff that affects transported units work. Can a psychic hood be used [the new one] against a librarian in a rhino ? yes it can. If so then a special rule that force you to roll 3d6 -ld works too.

People offten forget that ruling for single units or rules dont exist in a void. To make an example . People were saying how vulkan doesnt work on sob[or any other alliad] unit , everything was nice and peachy till some people started to point out that dreads and LS and LR dont have chapter tactics too and somehow vulkan works on them .

If doom doesnt work the way it works now , then you cant do many other things .like cant use psychic hood agaist a libby in transport , because you cant be 24" away from something that isnt on the table[that is if the ruling that you cant affact units in transports really worked]

pull a RAW ploy on saying that units are "moved out of the way" instead of it saying that the model MOVES out of the wa

am not sure about the english version [and that is the most important one] and I dont have it with me at work [and dont want to download it] , but [correct me if am wrong]. isnt the tank/transport/unit that is tank shocked placed and not moved . Because again if it was move it would crash the game , if you would tank shock a pined unit .

If the model(s) end up underneath the tank, then "...these models must be moved out of the way by the shortest distance,..." and ending up at least 1" away from the tank.

Thus it should magically jump to the side, even though it normally cannot move.

If you tank shock a pinned unit you can cause them to flee. If they pass their morale check, they stay put (still pinned).

You only ever get removed from the table as a casualty if you attempt, and fail, Death or Glory!

Failed Wraithsight when they're in a vehicle is hilarious as if it becomes wrecked or destroyed they all die.

how so? i thought they would just be immobile on a failed test..

I got that little gem from the FAQ where it says they die in that situation ;) It's never gonna happen but if it does happen I'm so gonna try and wreck that tank.

I have to admit at first I laughed when I saw Doom of Malan'tai as it looked like a gimmick. But when I saw people podding it in he became something different. I'm yet to face him so I can't speak for personal experience but for 130pts, him isn't bad.

Archived