A fluffy question

MattCrawford

Basic question: Do the Chaos Gods have a physical manifestation?

All the fluff I seem to be reading (which, to be honest, isn't a lot) seems to indicate the Gods as physical beings with physical realms:

Ex. 1: The Skull Throne appears to be real

Ex. 2: The Manreaper is dipped in Nurgle's own filth (yum)

Ex. 3: The Garden of Nurgle, where Nurgle concocts poisons and feeds them to that healing goddess

Are the Chaos Gods "real" beings (silly question since they come from the IMmaterium)? Would it be possible to model a "manifestation" of themselves in the Materium (i.e. something akin to a super-super-greater daemon?)

Yeah I'd say so. Although they almost never ever show themselves. They usually send a demon (whether it is a ddemon prince, a greater demon, etc) do do it for them. An example is when horus makes his pact with them. As big an event as this is, they send a messenger to make the deal. The shadow master or whatever its name is. So they aren't likely to manifest in the material realm. I haven't read the books your quotes are from, but I haven't seen them manifest yet. Although I believe they could if they wanted to.

They do. The big green fella on the cover of The Lost and the Damned is Nurgle himself, and the skull throne is indeed an actual edifice, or as actual as anything in the warp can be. Also Slaanesh does sometimes appear to mortals personally and his form is always so beautiful that the mortal in question cannot resist but to fall in love with him/her/it.

My personal view is that a corporeal manifestation of one of the Four would be nowhere near as powerful as that of the Immaterium.. Although still immensely powerful when compared to a Greater Daemon.

The Gods true power lies in manipulation of their minions.

Maybe try something like the Changer of Ways as a Puppetmaster, in a diorama?

My personal view is that a corporeal manifestation of one of the Four would be nowhere near as powerful as that of the Immaterium.. Although still immensely powerful when compared to a Greater Daemon.

I agree with this. The warp has always been the natural realm of daemons, but that doesn't mean they cannot appear outside the warp. However, think of how daemons are summoned - the amount of sacrifice and summoning rituals required to get a single Greater Daemon gives away why the Chaos Gods don't appear outside the warp.

Plus, outside the warp they are weaker - if Angron could be banished to the warp for a millennia, think what would happen if that was inflicted on one of the Chaos Gods. The inter-Chaos politicking would make it too much of a risk for a Chaos God to appear, even if the chance of banishment is incredibly slight - it only has to happen once and their power and assets could be gobbled up by the other Chaos Gods in the resulting (albeit temporary) loss of power.

I agree with this. The warp has always been the natural realm of daemons, but that doesn't mean they cannot appear outside the warp. However, think of how daemons are summoned - the amount of sacrifice and summoning rituals required to get a single Greater Daemon gives away why the Chaos Gods don't appear outside the warp.

Plus, outside the warp they are weaker - if Angron could be banished to the warp for a millennia, think what would happen if that was inflicted on one of the Chaos Gods. The inter-Chaos politicking would make it too much of a risk for a Chaos God to appear, even if the chance of banishment is incredibly slight - it only has to happen once and their power and assets could be gobbled up by the other Chaos Gods in the resulting (albeit temporary) loss of power.

:D

I've not been shown up for once! :tu:

As I have said RE: Ferrus Manus' IA: The Unborn (plug for him :D), I think the Chaos Gods prefer the hunt to the kill.

A lot of the BL and codex fluff seems to point at them appearing and speaking to their followers, an example being Tzeentch telling Magnus the red to spare Ahriman.

I think the general gist seems to be they are having too much fun enjoying manipulating their followers for them to actually bother coming into the real world.

In "The Labyrinth" the sons of malice actually manage to make the lesser Chaos god Malice appear to them

Archived