The Oblitorator Virus, does it have limitations?

Brother Hadafix

I know it works on Nid's and Imperial tech, but what, if any are its limitations?

Really? Can I ask where this is from please? (Genuinely interested, not sceptical!)

Storm of Iron (I think) the IW capture a Nid ship to use as a kind of Drop Pod. I know this is BL, but if it wasnt for BL the background would be a much duller place and we would be wondering how much of the 40K universe works.

I can't see C'Tan being affected, as they are only choosing to manifest their energy based lifeforms within the Necrodermis bodies; If they chose to appear as Stay Puft men they could.

As the Obliterator virus crosses the organic-metallic divide as symptoms develop, I could see Necrons being affected, and Pariahs certainly so, as long as their gods let it happen.

(opinion, nothing to back it up!)

Well Oblititorators are part Marine (organic) part Armour (Machine) and part Daemon (energy life form?) it would be could it not be assumed that it could affect anything made of those parts?

What about a Monolith? Or infecting a Tomb World?

And Wraithbone, is that immune or would it also fall? If it can, that would be a funny way to take out a Craftworld.

If you read the progression of the virus though it always starts off on a living organic host. Sure at the end of it they look all weird and metallic etc but that's only after they have absorbed weapons etc.

This certainly gives the impression of it only affecting organic material.

It works best on mechanicus adepts, servitors, and tech marines. Already so much machine and human to work with. I imagine things that are completely organic are harder to work with as there is no technology and metal to work with.

I'm also going to have to say it wouldn't hurt a necron or pariah, and most certainly not a monolith or C'tan. The last 2 are made of living metal which I imagine would snuff out the virus pretty quick.

I highly doubt it effects any necrons though. No organic life to infect and work with. They are the anti- to psykers and the warp so I don't see a demon based virus doing very well. It sure wouldn't hurt the pariah because its very presence would be harmful to the demonic part of the virus.

I would personally love to see it effects on Tau... especially a crisis suit.

Wraithbone... hmmm... don't know. If it did I imagine Slaanesh would be happy. As the virus traveled across the wraithbone it could eat up any spirit stones along the way.

The wraithbone hull of a craftworld has its own immune system (little wraithbone spiders that auto repair breaches/damage, or seal off compromised areas) so I doubt it would have much of an effect on it.

There is an article for Inquisitor (the 54mm game) on the obliterator virus that may be of interest here: http://web.archive.org/web/20060215122121/...obliterator.pdf

The wraithbone hull of a craftworld has its own immune system (little wraithbone spiders that auto repair breaches/damage, or seal off compromised areas) so I doubt it would have much of an effect on it.

There is an article for Inquisitor (the 54mm game) on the obliterator virus that may be of interest here: http://web.archive.org/web/20060215122121/...obliterator.pdf

That link is interesting...

So having it working on necrons is very iffy, and Waithbone only a maybe. Having it affect Tau just seems mean, they wouldn't know what had hit them. I can see Orks having a bad time with it as well.

The non-Iron Warrior version is slow in progression and hard to contract so it would only produce a limited number of infected individuals. Without any weapons or tech for them to absorb I don't know what would happen to them. I guess you just get nids made of that weird skin, until it gets eaten.

That link is interesting...

So having it working on necrons is very iffy, and Waithbone only a maybe. Having it affect Tau just seems mean, they wouldn't know what had hit them. I can see Orks having a bad time with it as well.

I think Orks would rather love it. IMO.

Archived