Flesh Tearers - WIP

Gomez

Howdy - intermittent poster here. It's been a long time since I posted anything (and if you look at my posting history, you'll see it always seems to be a long time between posts), but since the new BA rumors started circulating, I decided to try and get some more work done on my long-suffering, slow-in-the-making, Flesh Tearers army (and get some feedback along the way to hopefully improve my painting).

First, a few pics to show some of what's already finished...

Original test model

gallery_4958_1822_333953.jpg

Death Company Dread

gallery_4958_1822_49730.jpg

Rhino

gallery_4958_1822_3379.jpg

Captain

gallery_4958_1822_745858.jpg

Most of a Tactical squad

gallery_4958_1822_66203.jpg

Now, onto the WIP stuff...

A tactical sergeant - red is done, black is sort of vexing me right now. I lost my black recipe (had it written down on a tiny scrap of notebook paper that wandered off - foolproof, I know) so I'm kind of fumbling through right now, trying to get a clean highlight that isn't too bright. For this guy, I had to wash Badad black twice to tone down the original highlights.

gallery_4958_1822_10342.jpg

Sergeant for my next assault squad. Just starting on the red...

gallery_4958_1822_624958.jpg

Finally, the guys I'm most excited about... My take on Thunderhammer/Storm shield terminators. I didn't like how the standard TH/SS looked alongside my army (too "clean", not brutal enough) so I swapped them out. The Ork choppa "hammers" go along with my DC dread's CCWs, and I wanted the shields to look more utilitarian than the normal versions, and like they'd been around forever.

gallery_4958_1822_785.jpg

gallery_4958_1822_4293.jpg

gallery_4958_1822_28703.jpg

gallery_4958_1822_23281.jpg

gallery_4958_1822_1528.jpg

That'll do it for now (though I hope to have an update later this week).

Please let me know what you think - questions, comments, critiques are all appreciated.

G

Really, really nice painting and conversions. I especially like the deep red highlighting.

The chainsword termies look spot on for flesh tearers, perhaps some well worn hazard markings would look good on them?

The only thing bugging me is the last termies pose. I suggest moving his head so that its looking over his sheild, his current pose dosent quite look right.

Great work though mate, looking forward to seeing more. I'm off to look for your other army on here :)

Fantastic models you have there.

What's your red recipe?

I'm probably gunna start a variant BA army when the new dex comes out, and I'm thinking a small FT force. :)

Thanks for the feedback.

When it comes to painting the red, I must admit that I'm a cheap son of a gun and just use Delta Ceramcoat paints (have ever since I started at age 12), so my colors aren't true Citadel colors. With that said, here goes...

* basecoat: black

* paint: barn red (similar to mechrite red, I think)

* wash: chocolate cherry (similar barn red, but more brown)

* paint: mendocino cherry (similar to scab red)

* wash: purple (super thin)

* wash: black ink (super-duper thin)

* highlight: cardinal red (similar to blood red)

* highlight: bright red (like blood red, but with a touch of orange to it)

* highlight: bright red + flesh (just a tiny amount, and just the highest of highlights)

Each layer has FFF/water mix (approximately 1:3) added to thin it way down. This lets me build color gradually in thin layers and get some of that depth in there. I could probably find a faster way to do it, what with GW's new washes, but at this point I think I'll opt for uniformity instead.

That's it. Takes forever (hence, why I well under 1000 points of the army painted thus far), but I like how it looks.

G

I think you have nailed the character of the Flesh Tearers with your painting and modelling. I can't imagine them any other way. Congrats :)

Thanks! I definitely have had a specific vision for these guys, though I need to credit Chaplain Desmodus's Flesh Eaters for a significant portion of my own inspiration. Now, his marines are something else.

G

UPDATE (a small one, at least)

Not much work on these guys this week (been working on some Chaos BB models), but I did take time to mess around with a conversion (because focusing on one project at a time **cough-terminators-cough** is sooooo lame).

Here's who will count as my Dante...

gallery_4958_1822_34803.jpg

I absolutely LOVE this Chaplain model, but I got to thinking and realized that there will likely be a new and improved Lemartes sculpt coming soon - I would hate for such a cool figure as this to be reduced to redundancy, so I cut him up a little bit, added the old Dante's Inferno pistol and an old Chaos Lord's axe (jump-pack is under construction at the moment as I add an iron halo).

I'm undecided on how to paint the head. Like a skull? Red to match the rest of my army? Keep it gold? I'm also just messing around with how I want the gold to look, so this is really the very beginnings of it - highlighting will begin soon.

I'd love to get some feedback. Gracias!

G

That is an excellent conversion. I would paint the head gold. It denotes veteran status for the BA's so would fit his status as commander. Skull style would confuse him with the chaplain's I think. I also love the rest of your models so far.

The Dante conversion looks sweet! The gritty, dirty look to the gold fits with the Flesh Tearers. Maybe some blood splatter would add a touch of colour if you want to incorporate red into the scheme.

Was the Inferno pistol a scratchbuild? Would love to know how you did that.

The Dante conversion looks sweet! The gritty, dirty look to the gold fits with the Flesh Tearers. Maybe some blood splatter would add a touch of colour if you want to incorporate red into the scheme.

He said the pistol was the old Dante's, I believe.

He said the pistol was the old Dante's, I believe.

Ahh....missed that bit. Teaches me for scan reading topics!

after seeing your count as "dante", very nice :lol: , the cogs in my brain have started to turn and im now wanting to make my own one, based on yours but more dante style...

i cant wait to see what you get up to next on him...

how did you make that gold? its really good, alot better then mine...

keep up the good work..

after seeing your count as "dante", very nice B) , the cogs in my brain have started to turn and im now wanting to make my own one, based on yours but more dante style...

i cant wait to see what you get up to next on him...

how did you make that gold? its really good, alot better then mine...

keep up the good work..

Glad I could help. B)

The gold so far is just Shining Gold with a series of washes. Each of these washes was very, very thinned with a water/FFF mix at about a 2:1 ratio.

1. TinBitz + Chestnut Ink

2. Burnt Umber (a medium cool brown by Ceramcoat)

3. Badad Black (I love this stuff)

4. Devlan Mud (and this stuff too)

My plan going forward is to do a very thin reapplication of Shining Gold, a highlight of Burnished Gold, a final highlight of Burnished Gold + Mithril Silver, then a few more washes to even everything out. Never tried this technique before, but so far it's looking like I want it to.

Thanks for the feedback.

G

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE

It's been slow going, but I got some more work done on my counts-as-Dante...

http://images.dakkadakka.com/gallery/2010/3/21/91609_sm-Counts%20As,%20Dante,%20Flesh%20Tearers.jpg

The gold is 99% finished (all I need to do is a few touch-ups here and there), and I need to deepen and highlight the red a touch more, but those two areas are essentially done. I also obviously went for red lenses and green gems, but I debated going with green lenses and blue gems... What does anyone else think? Keep them as is, or go green-blue?

Other than that, comments, etc. are appreciated. Thanks for looking!

G

Great work!!!!

I love the feel of the Fleash Tearers! and you have captured it nicely :D

The "thunder hammers" are a nice fit.

Your Dante is also really nice. I would give him green eyes and blue gems, but that is just personal prefernce...and how I am painting my FTs! LOL.

A couple of suggestions I have for your Dante are to perhaps paint the shoulder pads black....not the cool outer shield of it, but the inner portion where the Chapter symbol would go. It would really tie him into the force nicely, and provide a nice place to put the chapter badge. Painting one of his knees black with a chapter symbol would also look nice IMHO.

Where are the Dread's blades from? Something Orky I am guessing......

Keep up the good work! I now how hard it can be to get stuff painted and continuously be distracted by other awesome project ideas!!! I am in the exact same situation ^_^

GB

Archived