Command Squad Loadout

IronDuke

Right, I am looking at a fluffy loadout for my command squad, which rull be running multiple flamers, and I am not sure if I am reading this right or not...

The basic wargear lists the veteran as having a boltgun or bolt pistol and a chainsword. You can swap either out, and a basic flamer costs half as much as a combi flamer.

If you were to buy a flamer, replacing the marines chainsword and keeping him with a standard boltgun, you can use both weapons as normal (though not in the same turn).

Whereas if you bought him a combi flamer, for more points, you are limited to one flamer shot per game then a standard bolter for the rest of the game.

Am I missing a trick here? By swapping out the ccw I am not losing a close combat attack as I would not have 2 weapons anyway, having replaced one with the combi. So why is the combi weapon more?

Cheers, ID

Good point i am afraid i dont know the answer but would like to jack your thread and add another querie.

why can't you give command squads jump packs, I built one without checking the rules but thankfully my mates let me use it by paying 50 pts for the whole squad upgrade. I dont really think it makes sense as you cant tell me the captain of the assault company's command squad (i think its the 7th) would not sign the requisition forms for 5 extra packs. Also means the command squad you unlock for taking shrike is footslogging behind him!

Thanks guys sorry to jack just thought as we were havin a winge about command squad options anyway i would roll in!

Fair point, and a fist will make into the squad somewhere! However there is nothing stopping me doing what I said in the first post, it is legal?

And not a problem robzed, I am actually intrigued as well. They have the option for bikes but no jump pack....silly!

Cheers, ID

The no jump packs thing was apparently intentional to force people using Jump Pack Command Squads to play Blood Angels.

As for the flamer/bolter set up, looks legal to me

Did they do away with the core rule that says "You can have two weapons, one of which may be two-handed" then?

I know it used to be at the top of all the Wargear pages, but they took away the armoury listings for the newer codeces...

As far as I am aware, that rule has gone. I can't see it anywhere in the new marine 'dex, and all distinctions of how many hands a weapon takes up appear to be gone, with the exception of the relic blade. I have had a quick glance at the BRB for any reference of it but couldn't see one. If anyone knows better, please let me know!

Sorry, another question carrying on in the same vein. The last option states any veteran may have a storm shield at x amount of points. There is no mention of this replacing any other weapon.

Is it legal for me to give them a combi weapon, power sword and then a storm shield for example? I can't see anyone reason why not but just like to check :rolleyes:

Cheers again, ID

If it doesn't say "replace x or y with storm shield" then yes just add it on to the wargear already taken.

In all this weapon upgrade stuff the text is pretty explicit. If you need to swap or replace one item with another it will tell you to do so. If you don't need to then it doesn't tell you to.

So in the case of the Storm Shield (and melta bombs) just add it on.

Is it legal for me to give them a combi weapon, power sword and then a storm shield for example? I can't see anyone reason why not but just like to check

Yes this would be legal.

I realise it is pretty explicit, I just found it a bit odd that with regards to the marine captain, the storm shield does replace a weapon and therefore limit the other choices the captain can take, and that his retinue can take the shield in addition to any other gear.

Cheers for the response though!

ID

Archived