Holdong objective question

Brother Mord

This topic came up during my last game.

A lone genestealer (troop choice) was on an objective at the end of the game. He got shot at, went to ground and the gemae ended before he could "un-go to ground" so to speak. Can he still hold the objective since he went to ground?

I have played for so many years I often get confused on minor rules points as I often remember rules from previous editions. We looked this question up and could not find any thing saying a troop choice who went to ground could not hold an objective.

Same went for when we asked our selves if a broken/fleeing unit was near an objective at the games end. It used to be a unit that was broken could not hold an objective but we could not find a rule for that in the new edition of 40k.

So if my squad of guardsmen/grots/ whatever was shot at and was fleeing, if they happen to retreat and be near an objective when the game ends they can still claim it? My thought was no but again we could find no rule stating that. It appeared to us that the only requirement was that to claim an objective it had to be a troop choice and no enemy unit nearby (not sure if the enemy unit in question could be broken as well and still contest)

It's possible we missed the rule but we looked in the mission and moral sections of the rule book. If we are wrong please post the correct page please.

Thanks

Units that a broken/fleeing are removed from the table when the game ends (count as destroyed for Kill point purposes) and therefore can not hold/contest an objective.

Units that have gone to ground can still hold/contest.

Where exactly is that written? The only time it's mentioned is for Victory Points, not Kill Points. You have to actually destroy the unit to have it count for KP.

If the unit is removed from play why wouldn't it count for kill points? A unit that falls of the board counts for kill points.

Yeah, that one is really hid in the corner, so to speak.

A lot of people don't know about that rule.

Your quite welcome.

I have to admit that I was one of the people that didn'y know about that rule and it cost me a draw when playing at the weekend. Needless to say I won't be making that mistake again anytime soon!

Archived