10 man Blood Angels assault squad!

BrotherMoses

I've just completed my first 10 man assault squad. I actually did 2 squads, but I only picture 10 of them here. 7 of them are sealed with jump packs on. I left the other 3 out just to have a rounded squad. 13/20 have magnetized backs to switch out jump packs and backpacks. Here are the shots and tell me what you think.

gallery_48972_4600_87761.jpg

my sergeant pictured here with my first attempt at a power weapon thats 'turned on'. I tried a new technique on faces with him and his plasma pistol buddy. It turned out really well and I think I could always go back and add more texture/detail with my new technique.

gallery_48972_4600_145953.jpg

Here I have the head from the sergeant that comes with the metal Blood Angel Honour Guard kit. I think it turned out better than I expected

gallery_48972_4600_498056.jpg

I'm going to have to learn a new way to paint yellow helmets. Painting them over a black undercoat is extremely tedious... I need practice before I do my veterans for April.

Unless you want that glossy effect on your marines, I'd try Purity seal varnish instead of your current varnish. Glossy power armour can look good, but I wouldn't want that effect on marines' faces or bases.

Also, in order to paint yellow parts over a black undercoat, I usually apply a first coat of Yanden Darksun, from Citadel Foundation. It works well enough.

As you're just beginning, it isn't fair to comment on the painting (and I'm not qualified to criticise anyway :)) but I think I should let you know that those aren't jump packs. Those are standard Marine backpacks. Jump packs have really big turbine boosters on them.

As you're just beginning, it isn't fair to comment on the painting (and I'm not qualified to criticise anyway :)) but I think I should let you know that those aren't jump packs. Those are standard Marine backpacks. Jump packs have really big turbine boosters on them.

Yes, they are standard backpacks. I was saying that I have them magnetized so that I can switch them out with jump packs that I also have.

In my defense I would have used Iyanden Darksun if it had been around when I painted those. I did the helmets a LONG time ago, I just got out of the hobby and have just come back.

I appreciate the advice about using Purity Seal, but I've had several people tell me not to use it and I've heard some bad reviews of it. I think its the sealant that can cause the 'snowy' effect? I use standard krylon clearcoat from Wal-Mart for these guys. I love a bit of gloss on power armour. You're right though, its not so hot on faces...

liking them man, but dont go so heavy with the varnish.

Purity seal is amazing if you use it properly, like shake it up really well first.

I've know people who complain and bitch that its 'snowy' or 'glossy' and 'it ruins the miniature', and after watching them use it i had to tell the douchebags not to just crack it open and blast it all over. When it settles in the can the different consistencies give it different and uneven results.

People give bad reviews mostly because they don't use it properly, i've been using it since they released it and I've never seen any negative effects.

For marines, man, honestly, Purity Seal. If you want to gloss up some areas, just water down the 'Ard Coat varnish from the pot. NEVER use it neat unless you're doing gems or lenses, but watered down it looks amazing over power armour.

Give the 'Seal a try, they'll look a lot better!

• 3 months later...
I think its the sealant that can cause the 'snowy' effect?

I believe most kinds of sprays can frost in high humidity, I only mention this as I notice you're located in Alabama. I live in Florida, where the humidity is constantly high, and I know most of the southeast can get like this. I was having some trouble with frosting dullcote until I started bringing stuff back inside the air-conditioned interior of the house immediately after spraying. Granted the models can still be a little fumy, but it's not bad, and they're frost-free.

Purity seal is amazing if you use it properly, like shake it up really well first.

I've know people who complain and bitch that its 'snowy' or 'glossy' and 'it ruins the miniature', and after watching them use it i had to tell the douchebags not to just crack it open and blast it all over.

Never used Purity Seal but I think this is generally true for clear coats and most of the other sprays we would use in the hobby, you really need to shake them for several minutes.

Archived