Minor Chaos Gods

Walter Payton

Right, well, my friend lent me a copy of the old Liber Chaotica and Realm of Chaos books, and I saw mention of the minor gods An'sl, Mor'rck and Phaz'Etar (Brian Ansell, Mike Moorcock and Frank Fazetta anyone?). Anyway, I was wondering, are they still around? I was thinking of doing an Index Traitoris in the Liber about a chapter who believes that the major deities have failed, and that it is, in the words of Barack Obama, 'time for change.'

Any thoughts?

Malal/Malice is probably the best bet. Depending on how far you go back, he is part of the "Warp community" and might be older then the other gods even.

AFAIK Malal was never mentioned in 40k, only in FB and only in a few mag articals. Was never canon for FB and never in 40k at all.

Malal/Malice is probably the best bet. Depending on how far you go back, he is part of the "Warp community" and might be older then the other gods even.

AFAIK Malal was never mentioned in 40k, only in FB and only in a few mag articals. Was never canon for FB and never in 40k at all.

Thats my understanding as well, but wasn't it the case that the fantasy world was part of 40k at some point?

Its a weak connection to be sure.

SONS OF MALICE SONS OF MALICE

:lol:

the dread ax was the chosen weapon of the malaal greatest champion it was in teh 3.5 chaos dex, it was the closest thing to minor gods in w40k you can get. but with the gav dex it is gone so probablly retconed just like almost everything from RT times.

I was under the impression that GW lost the rights to Malal when the guy that created him (not sure of his name) left the company quite a long time ago. The Sons of Malice lost their official support not due to a lack of popularity, but a rights issue.

Postumus

the dread ax was the chosen weapon of the malaal greatest champion it was in teh 3.5 chaos dex, it was the closest thing to minor gods in w40k you can get. but with the gav dex it is gone so probablly retconed just like almost everything from RT times.

The 3.5 codex Dreadaxe flavor text does not mention anything about Malal.

“The Dreadaxe contains an entrapped entity with a vampiric thirst for souls that is especially partial to destroying daemonic rivals. This blade is death to all who oppose its bearer.”

They did mention An'sl, Mor'rck and Phaz'Etar in the 3rd edition Chaos Marine codex under the spiky bits.

That Malal was never part of the 40K lore (I like that word, ADB brought it up) does not mean they cannot winkingly reference it in 40K stuff. The Movie "Predator" was also not part of the 40K universe, but in the 4th Edition Rulebook they had a kill team example squad that were the mercenary crew from "Predator" led by Arnolds "Sergeant Dutch". Or Sly Marbo, anyone? The references made with the Sons of Malice and the Dread Axe are little winks for those that remember the old schoold GW stuff. If they wanted it to be Malal from the WHFB RPG comics then they would have dropped the name somewhere in 3rd, 4th or 5th Edition.

Malal was canon, but GW doesn't have the rights to use him anymore, so he specifically isn't really canon any longer. More here: http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=35227

WFRP introduced Zuvassin, a renegade Chaos god that was out to destroy all the other Chaos gods.

Obviously it is canon in 40k that new Chaos gods can be created (see Slaanesh), so seems entirely logical that others could exist. Whether they could exist without serving one of the Big Guys is hazier, but, feh, Chaos is Chaos.

I had thought about this for awhile and there is a potential "niche" that another Chaos god could occupy.

That of the status quo or balance.

Its easiest to think about it in terms of Tzeentch and Nurgle but I think it works for Slaanesh and Khorne as well. In the simplest terms, Tzeentch seeks change and creation. Nurgle seeks destruction and reduction. Both Khorne and Slaanesh seek more (either sensations or blood).

What about the feeling of balance, of maintaining what is. Oddly enough this is often the role of the Imperium so one could make an arguement that the Emperor would be the warp entitity incharge of this domain but thats for another topic.

I share the same idea minigun762 at the Emperor as a sort of 5th Chaos god that was spawned by humanity’s desire for safety, faith, and hero-worship. It is interesting to look at all these codices and see how the Chaos Gods evolved over time from Chaos Gods being complex arch types of emotions, if not alien emotions , to almost cartoonishly evil villains. Now that Chaos has taken a turn towards a sort of Tao/Zen influence in Chaos Daemons in bits like “Slaanesh has always existed”. It is even stranger there are not gods that represent an antithesis of Chaos rather than rival Chaos gods to fill in the duality of Chaos.

Malal was canon

Yes he was. In WHFB. You would expect Malal in 40K just as much as you would expect Grungni or the Horned Rat.

I had thought about this for awhile and there is a potential "niche" that another Chaos god could occupy.

That of the status quo or balance.

(...)

What about the feeling of balance, of maintaining what is. (...)

Perhaps you should give the concept of "Chaos" another thought. :HQ:

Archived