Greco-Roman Themed Chapter WIP

FireLizard

• 2 weeks later...

FireLizard, thankyou for your inspiration and considerable vision. I was wondering, although you have answered this question before - would you care to explain, in slightly more detail the process used to obtain the crests on the honour guard.

"@ Lord Draco: Thank you The Crests are from Maxmini, from their "Tribe of the Black Lotus" heads. I used those for a base, and trimmed them down to fit my needs."

I have looked @ the helmets referred to and am ready to purchase, but i would truly like to understand what you did to achieve such uniform/clean results. I understand that they are drilled and pinned - that doesn't put me off. I am more interested in how you textured the top of the crests, also how many crests can i hope to get out of a pack of 10 heads (or do i need one specific helm from the group?)

Thankyou in advance for your assistance in this regard.

My intention is not to rip your ideas. I'd just like to have a feature part of my army with crests and do it it in a financially viable manner.

Conversion work... A++ I love the clean and crisp conversions there... great idea/execution...

HOWEVER:

Color choices.... ummm? It looks you highlighted the plastic. ick.

I agree with theblklotus. As I stated before, the color just looks "washed out". These are supposed to be heroic, larger than life marines, not just run of the mill infantrymen. They should have some "color" in their armor somewhere. The "bronze" really just looks more like boltgun metal with a highlight of chainmail then an actual "bronze". I would think that Greco-Roman themed marines would have finally brazen or polished brass gleaming in the sunlight as they march on the emperor's foes. Your marines, however, look like they don't care much about their kit, or even like the droll, utilitarian Death Guard, pre-heresy. Since they have crests and elaborate shield designs, I'd imagine they are not very utilitarian.

In any case, since you told me that they look alot better than the pictures show, maybe try taking some pictures in some daylight or a softer light so we can get a better idea of the actual color?

Quick stop in before I head to bed for the night.

MUCH progress has been had, just very little time to photograph it all, unfortunately. Hopefully new pics will go up tomorrow night or thursday night.

Nic, I hope I answered your questions though the PM well enough, but let me know if I haven't!

@ Skirax: Hmm... no how to work a trebuchet design into marine tech... Archeotech maybe? I'll have to think on that and it's construction! ;)

@ theblklotus: Hmm.. while I appreciate the compliment on my modeling, I think I'm going to leave your comment about the painting alone... mainly cause it's not constructive in any way. sorry friend.

@ Rusty and Stompy: The color comes through pretty well in the pictures actually... not really washed out (i've since tested them and have gotten other, real-life opinions... specifically from people you and I both know in RL). Don't really see where you're only seeing grey metallics, sorry :( While I can appreciate your opinion that you like your marines nice, bold and bright, that's just not how I enjoy mine. Just a difference in opinion is all. :) In the end, we'll all paint our little toy soldiers how we like, eh? But I did appreciate your earlier constructive comments, and they have made me think on how to improve for the next project. I may still never go with bright, bold or gaudy colors, but that's just my taste.

More updates soon!

@ Rusty and Stompy: The color comes through pretty well in the pictures actually... not really washed out (i've since tested them and have gotten other, real-life opinions... specifically from people you and I both know in RL). Don't really see where you're only seeing grey metallics, sorry :sweat: While I can appreciate your opinion that you like your marines nice, bold and bright, that's just not how I enjoy mine. Just a difference in opinion is all. ;) In the end, we'll all paint our little toy soldiers how we like, eh? But I did appreciate your earlier constructive comments, and they have made me think on how to improve for the next project. I may still never go with bright, bold or gaudy colors, but that's just my taste.

I don't see where people are seeing Grey either. Maybe adjust your monitor if you see that. Looks bronzyish to me (I'd still have rather seen you do my suggestion but what you did is fine).

You need to bring this up to the store sometime so I can see your progress.

Archived