A nice Try, followed by a swift Conversion!

Lestat

Thank you very much! Hm... If I have twenty pound spare... and I see a box of Assualt Marines... I may just be tempted to make a Football team...

I was never really into football as a kid - it was always Rugby and Motorcycle racing (BSB and WSB)

Now I ride my Harley, but can't play Rugby due to an ankle injury that I got when I was a nipper (did some serious damage to the ligaments and tendons when I came off a bike - the bugger plays havoc in the cold and damp!)

Anyway, back to the topic. I think Le Chabal will be in more of a static pose than the previous Marine. He always seems to be directing play on the pitch, but willing and able to lend his skill and experience (and sheer size!) when needed. I will try and bulk out the model more - Terminator groin plates make great thigh armour for PA Marines. I'm going to try and see if the head I got for him will fit some Mk. IV armour as that will give a sense of bulk too.

I've just had an idea for a referee Marine too. Not going to say much but I have most of a Chaplain model sitting in my bitz box..................... ;)

Thank you very much! Hm... If I have twenty pound spare... and I see a box of Assualt Marines... I may just be tempted to make a Football team...

I was never really into football as a kid - it was always Rugby and Motorcycle racing (BSB and WSB)

Now I ride my Harley, but can't play Rugby due to an ankle injury that I got when I was a nipper (did some serious damage to the ligaments and tendons when I came off a bike - the bugger plays havoc in the cold and damp!)

Don't scare me with injuries! *runs into distance*

lovely, I would say this conversion is right between the posts :)

and there ain't nothing wrong with rugby, we pile at eachother in a slightly organized rabble with shirts, americans do it with stupid amounts of pads.

But then again I can't say anything I was one of the worst #8s in the history of the 5th team of my school!

Just a quick WIP update of my latest Marine. As mentioned before, I am planning to build one based on Le Chabal who I think is one of the best players in the game (even though he's French :P ).

Anyway, on to the pics. As he's quite a big lad, I'm trying to bulk up his armour a bit but I don't want to go down the Terminator route. When I've seen Le Chabal play, he always seems to be in the thick of things or directing play.

gallery_36289_4604_150650.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_1165467.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_1951371.jpg

At the moment the parts are only blu-takked together so can be easily changed. Any C&C is greatly appreciated.

How about using Guardsman heads for helmeted players! That, I'd like to see! :)

Looks good, what are you going to with his right hand? Maybe use a Power Fist arm? are his legs going to be planted, or running? Simple things like that.

How about using Guardsman heads for helmeted players! That, I'd like to see! :D

Looks good, what are you going to with his right hand? Maybe use a Power Fist arm? are his legs going to be planted, or running? Simple things like that.

Legs-wise. I'm not too sure. I'm going to do a couple of takked together mock-ups and see what looks right.

As for the powerfist idea..........might have to use that one. Just need to get a right handed powerfist.

you should cut the hand of that left arm and replace it with the left hand on a rocket laucher guy, so it looks like a hand off...

If you got to the start of this topic, you can see the first Marine I did in a similar pose.

You mean like he did with the first model? :)

As he's mentioned before, Le Chabal is normally seen commanding the play, standing at the back, directing players etc.

Currently working on a pair of legs foe Le Chabal. Don't want him too static, but the Marine running legs have too much movement in them. Need soemthing similar to the walking legs in the new Space Wolves box...............

• 2 weeks later...

Hi again folks. After a couple of weeks hiatus, I've been working on some more models over this weekend. The first is heavily influenced by Sebastian Chebal - one of the best players in the modern game. The second is a homage to the time-honoured technique of "scoop-and-shunt" which was ably demonstrated by England in thier recent draw against Scotland (the Calcutta Cup is staying at Twickers!)

Anyway, on to the models. They are not painted yet, I'll see what I can get done tonight.

gallery_36289_4604_2864422.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_4027737.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_1849221.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_276114.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_715453.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_1194805.jpg

gallery_36289_4604_519835.jpg

As always, any C&C is greatly appreciated.

• 3 months later...
Okay, I know this is kind of a dead thread, but here goes. The first guy (in your most recent post) looks excellent. The second, however, looks very... static. Really. Make him look like he's diving, not standing parallel to the ground.

Okay, I know this is kind of a dead thread, but here goes. The first guy (in your most recent post) looks excellent. The second, however, looks very... static. Really. Make him look like he's diving, not standing parallel to the ground.

The idea was that he's not actually diving - he's driving his bulk forward through the opposing defence in order to score a try. I tried to get the feeling of him digging his heels in and surging forwards. Watch a game of Rugby and you'll get the idea.

I think for the shunting guy you should maybe twist the torso a little bit and turn his head to the side. Marines have hard skulls, but even they don't shunt with their heads. I'd twist the torso so that the hand holding the "ball" is lower down, and move the free arm (which should now be a bit higher up in relation to the base) back a bit more towards his waist. Then I'd move and reposition the head so that the chin is tucked in.

Great models, I really like the first one! :D

lol! played rugby once...and yea its IMPOSSIBLE to get out clean :D

great model m8 :)

not quite impossible, i made it out clean as a winger once, Then my dad and his mate quickly ganged upon me and threw me in the mud, that as real fun :)

I think for the shunting guy you should maybe twist the torso a little bit and turn his head to the side. Marines have hard skulls, but even they don't shunt with their heads. I'd twist the torso so that the hand holding the "ball" is lower down, and move the free arm (which should now be a bit higher up in relation to the base) back a bit more towards his waist. Then I'd move and reposition the head so that the chin is tucked in.

Great models, I really like the first one! :)

The idea is that he's aiming his head for the gap between two opposing players and letting his shoulders do the hard work. Also, this guy is destined to become the Irish Rugby Marine and I based him on an absolutely beautiful try during the 6 Nations. The guy was in exactly the same position, and did a little dive and roll over the try-line to score - superb!

lol! played rugby once...and yea its IMPOSSIBLE to get out clean :)

great model m8 :P

not quite impossible, i made it out clean as a winger once, Then my dad and his mate quickly ganged upon me and threw me in the mud, that as real fun :)

If you come out clean, then you ain't playing hard enough!

Great work so far mate, really liking the dynamic posing. I reckon you could pull off some great poses using some of the new BA parts as well.

I was looking at some of the BA parts for inspiration, but I think they might be a little too ornate. I'm planning on using some more basic parts and letting the paint mark the difference between the models.

Do a scrum? Now thats an interesting idea.....mind you, that would take about 16 Marines in the scrum itself not to mention the other 14 or so out on the field. Oh, don't forget the ref and linesmen too.

I would need a huge display board (a bit of quick maths.......) A "normal" pitch measures between 120 and 144 meters long by about 70 wide. If you take 1 inch equals 1 meter (as a Marine sized model is about 2" tall and a "real" Marine would measure in at 7ft or more)

That would mean I need a board between 10 and 12 foot long by about 6 wide. Thats bigger than a normal gaming table.

Maybe I won't be doing one that big..............................

Archived