helmet attachments

Greetings Heretics! :P

I was wondering to myself this morning, do Chaos Marines attach the horns/bunny ears/Nightlord wings/Thousand Sons...things themselves, or have they mutated on or always been there since the founding (Obviously not the bezerkers)?

I just can't imagine a CSM taking time out to "fix" his helmet to look scary. Personally I find them daft looking and prefer CSM's with "normal" helms.

What do you guys reckon?

P.S I hope this is the right forum. :)

Here is one theory that is supported by the Codex.

and many Chaos Space Marines individualise their armour with crests, horns, skulls and chains

Also, from the same paraphraph:

Quite often a Chaos Space Marine's armour will have been changed by long exposure to the Warp. It might sprout spines or bony ridges.

That's an ork motto. Fire Lord.

But, to be honest, their helmets are mass produced, and/or salvaged. Often from each other as well. So every piece of armor might have a diverse history compared to the suits in regular chapters.

Might also extend from a dead friend or much desired foe to perish, a trophy piece of armour.

Also could just be a squad thing. Many chaos marines can hail from pre-tech civilizations like space wolf recruits, adorning horns from dragons they fought with spear and bow, now using bolter and slaying them by the dozens.

I just can't imagine a CSM taking time out to "fix" his helmet to look scary. Personally I find them daft looking and prefer CSM's with "normal" helms.

Well if we're talking Night Lords It's Totally feasible that they put time aside to add alittle "scary"ness to instill fear into the enemy whether its adding bat like wings or even skulls to intimidate the enemy.

On another note ALL space marines Chaos and regular alike take religious like care of their own gear, whether its attempting to upkeep, prayer to the machine spirit inside, or just adorning it with spikey bits. XD Now there is always an exception to the rule of course but more or less that's the gist of it.

Archived