I ran into a dark eldar

Niiai

He sead that his raiders (?) could tank shock sideways. He had some torture amplifier or something that enabeled him to tank shock with a skimmer.

I do not know if you actualy can do that? Is it posible?

Anyway, he ended up getting all my units into one neat pile and the shot them with terrorfex.

Can they realy tankshock sideways? If that is so, can say...land raiders also do it?

I will have to check the codex when I get my home today but I am pretty sure a torture amp allows dark eldar skimmers to count as a tank for the purposes of tank shocking. Vehicles cannot tank shock sideways it has to be done in the forward direction. Reguardless a Land Raider could not do so because it cannot move sideways it has to turn and pivot.

I could be wrong, but I thought the FAQ addressed this in 5th.

The only skimmer reference in the FAQ clarifies that skimmers that are not immobilized or stunned can dodge a ram attack. Nothing about movement or tank shock.

Tank shock is spelled out quite clearly on page 68 of the BRB. The second column states "Once the vehicle has been aimed and the speed declared, move the vehicle straight forward until it comes into contact..." Bold is mine. Sideways is NOT straight forward and with the statement regarding "aiming" the tank, sideways is again not an option.

edit: added rules citation.

Nephilim is correct. While they can tank shock they can not ram. They did this because some DE players found a nifty loophole.

They could ram vehicles when moving 24".... a raider's armor is only 10 so they would likely be destroyed when ramming anything with decent armor, and since it was an open topped vehicle the guys would just hop out. Then in their assault phase they could assault. 30-32" assault... yea that had to be fixed. Or at least that is how I heard it, never ran into it myself.

I don't get the sideways thing...

Any vehicle can pivot in place freely, provided of course there's room to do so... So why would you tank shock sideways... Or perhaps more to the point what difference would it make?

The DE player can pivot the skimmer to face any direction, so if he wanted to tank shock something they wouldn't they be able to simply turn it to face the target?

I don't get the sideways thing...

Any vehicle can pivot in place freely, provided of course there's room to do so... So why would you tank shock sideways... Or perhaps more to the point what difference would it make?

The DE player can pivot the skimmer to face any direction, so if he wanted to tank shock something they wouldn't they be able to simply turn it to face the target?

Vehicles, especialy Dark eldar vehicles, tend to be longer than they are wide. Tank shocking sideways would give you a larger area shocked.

Not to mention you move just straight forward, you cant turn afterwords

You can't pivot after? Well that would be the best reason I could think of then, because you'd likely have a weak side facing incoming fire.

Not to mention you move just straight forward, you cant turn afterwords

You can't pivot after? Well that would be the best reason I could think of then, because you'd likely have a weak side facing incoming fire.

Yep. To finish the quote from my earlier post regarding page 68 of the BRB, "move the vehicle straight forward until it comes into contact with an enemy unit or it reaches the distance declared - no other changes of direction are allowed during a tank shock." <_<

The reason they would want to tank shock sideways is to herd the cattle.

Since they have to move out of the way of the raider in order of make space for the raider they are in very good position to be shot by the homuncily flamer, the raiders darkmatter/plasma cannons and not to mention the terrorfex grenades.

OK, so if they tank shock "through" a unit and it is also equiped with the hook upgrade (you get 1d6 attacks for each unit you move over) do it get to tank shock and do the hook attacks?

Edit::: Never mind it was FAQ. (And it was a no.)

Archived