BA vs Tyranids

buddyroe99

so i was playing a pick up game against a tyranid player a while ago. i am looking for some input as to a rule. the player i went against was using the newest version of the tyranid codex. he has a special rule which allows one squad of his genestealers to pop out of any piece of terrain on the table, which is cool but sounds very similar to deepstriking. well on turn 2 he popped out of a building, then moved, then fleeted, then assaulted one of my tact squads. the question i have is can u really basically have a unit pop up anywhere on the table, move up to 12 inches, then another 6 to assault, and then assault all on the same turn they arrive? thats a little ridiculous when you think about it. either way, i don't like to ask about stuff as i feel like we play as gentleman and use the honor system but any input from you guys would be appreciated.

The squad/brood was the Ymgarl Genestealers (Elite). And yes they have a special rule "Dormant" which allows them to move and assault normally on the turn they are revealed. The enemy has to choose a piece of terrain at the begining of the match though. And that piece has to be big enough to fit all of the brood.

And yes, at only 23 points, it is nasty stuff...

Yes, they can run and assault in the turn they arrive.

But the player has to decide (and make a note^^) where the unit lies sleeping at the time of his army deployment. He must choose a piece of area terrain big enough to deploy the whole unit inside.

When they become available (normal reserve roll...) they must be placed inside this area terrain (1 inch away from enemy models as per normal deep striking).

If that's not possible they are destroyed, so securing big pieces of area terrain with your units helps (and having your units in cover is always useful).

indeed, althought it should be noted that they are not deepstriking, there is no scatter, nor do they need to be deployed in "rings". It is simply a special form of deployment, as such they can be placed in any formation withint the area terain (they of course must still be in coherency). Anti deepstrike rules and wargear, such as Jamming beacons or deamon hunter's mystics, will have no effect on Ymargl stealers.

On a side point, that the stealer can do so does not annoy me, what annoys me is that lictors can't, apearing from nowhere because they were their the entire time is kind of a lictors entire shtick. I kind of think lictors got shafted with thier special rules in 5th.

Remember the yngmar's has to be anoced at the start of the game. Ask to see note if it seems to good to be true. (The note with where they are.)

Also be shure to clearify what counts as terrain etc. If you want to counter it the fill the suspected terrain with models. Or just stand in cover since Genestealers no longer have flesh hooks.

On a sidenote forsty the pyro the lictors can now shoot and they are good to pop rhinos that are close to aria terrain. Or to contest objectives lategame in aria terain. Just go to ground and you have a +2 invonreable save against shooting attacks and you will moast likly go first in melee.

Archived