Wolves of Fang

Fang

Hey all,

Heres the first completed model from my new army. Have been out of the hobby for several years so no fancy techniques just the simple stuff. It took a while to paint, 5 minutes here and there over the past few weeks. Over all I am pleased with how it turned out, painting the yellow was difficult if any one has any tips. I tried the yellow foundation paint as the basecoat but it still took loads of coats and doesnt look too good. Looking for some C&C, cheers.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/RichSillett/Space%20Wolves/DSC00875.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/RichSillett/Space%20Wolves/DSC00876.jpg

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/RichSillett/Space%20Wolves/DSC00877.jpg

Looks like a great start. Hard to give C&C without closer/bigger pics but looks good from what I can tell. Maybe another layer of highlights on the chest script thing as it looks sort of dark and a little flat for something so decorative. I mean, if I HAD to be picky about something. Like I said, from these pics, outstanding job. Looking forward to more.

Does the wolf on the backpack (in the middle) come as part of the sculpt or did you add that? (maybe it's a transfer)

Very good painting indeed, crisp and clean.

In my opinion, there is nothing to criticise. Well done! :)

A little input to your question:

I have had problems with Iyaniden Darksun as well, layering a clean yellow over this foundation is very difficult, I´d prefer white instead.

But layering white over a black foundation is just as difficult, so I mixed Skull White and Iyaniden Darksun and water 3:1:2. This mix should be bright enough to work as a substitute for a yellow surface.

Besides, I think your yellow looks very good.

Snorri

Very nice looking Wolf you've got there. The yellow looks pretty good from here, but I feel your pain trying to get a good yellow over a dark undercoat using Iyaniden Darksun. I haven't come up with a good solution yet, every one on the B&C who paints yellow over a dark undercoat just uses lots of layers, that's why my Storm Dragons are undercoated white (they're yellow and black). Luckily for my Wolves I'm not doing Rangar's Great Company so I only have to worry about it for my Wolf Guard. :lol:

One question - how did you do the pelt and wolf tails and what colours did you use? I'm having real trouble coming up with pelts that I like on my Wolves and I really like the look of yours.

Great job on your Wolf there! As far as your yellow problem I have an oldy but a goody..... 1) Basecoat Snakebite Leather 2) 50/50 Snakebite and Golden yellow 3)progressively add more Golden 60/40 4)Pure Golden 5) 50/50 Golden and Sunburst 6) and just a slight highlight of Sunburst and you should be good. Been using that technique for years and it works like a charm. Hope that helps.

Thanks for the comments, they give me motivation to get more done. Cheers for the yellow tips also, il give them a go.

Very nice! I'm looking to start a new Wolves force - and your Wolf is good inspiration. Any chance you could give me a run through of how you painted it?

Thanks

Black basecoat, Codex Grey on all the armour, Badab Black wash over all the armour, Re apply Codex Grey leaving joins and shadows, highlight with Fortress Grey. Pretty much used DV8s guide in the painting tutorial but missed out some steps.

Looks like a great start. Hard to give C&C without closer/bigger pics but looks good from what I can tell. Maybe another layer of highlights on the chest script thing as it looks sort of dark and a little flat for something so decorative. I mean, if I HAD to be picky about something. Like I said, from these pics, outstanding job. Looking forward to more.

Does the wolf on the backpack (in the middle) come as part of the sculpt or did you add that? (maybe it's a transfer)

Yeah I thought about doing more to the script, think I will do a bit more and try some writting also. The wolf head is part of the sculpt on the backpack.

Really awesome. Would love to know the paints you used to get this paintjob, as well as bigger photos so we can have a better look. But otherwise, it's a great Wolf you've painted, and hope to see more

Here is a bigger pick, I think?, not too good with computers.

http://i606.photobucket.com/albums/tt150/RichSillett/DSC00875.jpg

Very nice looking Wolf you've got there. The yellow looks pretty good from here, but I feel your pain trying to get a good yellow over a dark undercoat using Iyaniden Darksun. I haven't come up with a good solution yet, every one on the B&C who paints yellow over a dark undercoat just uses lots of layers, that's why my Storm Dragons are undercoated white (they're yellow and black). Luckily for my Wolves I'm not doing Rangar's Great Company so I only have to worry about it for my Wolf Guard. :P

One question - how did you do the pelt and wolf tails and what colours did you use? I'm having real trouble coming up with pelts that I like on my Wolves and I really like the look of yours.

For the pelts, starting with a black basecoat, Snakebite leather ( I think, its a medium brown ) over the top 1/4, Dheneb Stone over the middle 1/2, white for the bottom 1/4. Wash the whole pelt with Devlan Mud, and then only the top part, and a few random places Badab Black wash.

Thanks again for the comments, looking forward to getting some more finished.

Archived