Cypher

JetfireUK

Hi Folks,

I haven't posted anything here for a long time but I thought I'd post something I finished yesterday - Cypher.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271156.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271157.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271158.jpg

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y104/JetfireUK/SL271159.jpg

I hope you like - please let me know what you think and what I could improve on for the future.

Ah, I'm so glad that you got it historically accurate! Too many people follow the 'Eavy Metal team's example and paint his armour green (which makes no sense, as he rebelled along with the rest of the Fallen before that repaint occurred).

Nice work; black is simultaneously one of the easiest and trickiest colours to get right on armour. too many highlights and it starts to look blue or grey, too little and it looks mat and featureless. You've struck a nice balance here, and it contrasts well with the bone-coloured robes. I also like the way you've drawn attention to the guns by painting them in a contrasting red; it emphasises the dynamism of the model. Just a couple of things: the red itself looks a little flat. It might work better by starting with a deeper red base then working up through successive layers or highlights.

Other than that, nice work.

Thanks everyone for your comments - especially for the criticism on the model itself. This was a nice challenge in terms of getting the armour looking polished black and using minimal but carefully placed highlights.

I agree about the red on this model - I struggle with red as highlights can potentially look too orange or pink. I started with a basecoat of Mechrite Red followed by red gore and layers of blazing orange. Maybe in the future I'll use scab red as it has a darker hue.

I really enjoyed painting this mini. The figure was starting to show its age and there were a few mold imperfections but it has a nice character to it.

i agree with the other posters, great painting there JetfireUK and i like how you kept to the pre-Heresy colours which is accurate to the fluff. ive always loved the Cypher model and i want one to use in my Fallen retinue who still fight on for the Emperor and the Imperium however they cannot reconcile their differences with the Dark Angels and successor Chapters. anyways keep painting man, youre a skilled painter and i hope you are able to post some more of your work soon.

peace

Cheers folks.

I think that Cypher is a great sculpt - it's starting to show its age a little but I like the dynamics of the sculpt and the mix of archaic armour and flowing robes. If you can get your hands on the model do so as it is a nice sculpt.

I'll post some more work soon.

Excellent work Jetfire,

I would however suggest drilling out the barrels and painting the inside black, also painting a little scribble or works if you are up to it on his left shoulder scroll.

There are a couple of rivets on the barrel end of the Plasma pistol that could be metallic too.

Some lettering on the red of the guns in brown wash of may bring the red up by contrast IMO.

I only presume to give this opinion as it would really finish off an otherwise brilliant job.

Lance

• 1 month later...
Ah, I'm so glad that you got it historically accurate! Too many people follow the 'Eavy Metal team's example and paint his armour green (which makes no sense, as he rebelled along with the rest of the Fallen before that repaint occurred).

Actually, going back to the 2nd Ed. fluff, Cypher rebelled AFTER the fall, not with it. The fluff has been subsequently changed with the Horus Heresy novels, which I was very disappointed with. That's why he wears the green armour and robes of the Inner Circle. The chapter was reformed, and then he stole the Lion Sword and left because he knew that having it reforged at the feet of the Emperor and gaining his forgiveness was the only way the Unforgiven could repent for their sins. He has been forced to fight alongside the forces of Chaos to create an opportunity to gain access to Terra and the Emperor. This task was bestowed upon him by the Watchers in the Dark, hence he has their protection.

2nd Ed Dark Angels codex is where you should find it. It doesn't say it in so many words, but it does hint that he was a member of the inner circle after the fall. Other than that I've pieced it together from several sources, and some more of it is speculation and theory.

Archived