Dred vs Tac Squad

BlackDingo

Hey gang.

Okay. I have an un-assigned drop pod and 185pts to burn.

So I was either thinking a default 170pts Tac Squad (Flamer and Launcher) with P'sword for the Sergeant, or a Dred tooled up to be a Tank/Character hunter.

I know that tactically a Squad o' Marines dropping in is a good thing, but the idea of a nice big, scary dreddy o' doom plopping down beside someone's prized whatever is VERY appealing.

Thoughts?

Dreadnought VS tactical squad = victory for tac squad EVERY time. I've tested it to exhaustion

Could you explain this further? How is the dread setup? Ironclad? Dual flamers? Does the tac squad have a PF? Meltabombs? Because, technically, for 185 points (basic squad w/ pw) vs an Ironclad, the ironclad actually CAN'T lose in CC. And will have a very hard time losing at range. O_o Although, I agree that the tactical squad is the better choice. If you field Ironclads, you need to field two. And you need to put them in drop pods as far as I am concerned.

Dreadnought VS tactical squad = victory for tac squad EVERY time. I've tested it to exhaustion

Could you explain this further? How is the dread setup? Ironclad? Dual flamers? Does the tac squad have a PF? Meltabombs? Because, technically, for 185 points (basic squad w/ pw) vs an Ironclad, the ironclad actually CAN'T lose in CC. And will have a very hard time losing at range. O_o Although, I agree that the tactical squad is the better choice. If you field Ironclads, you need to field two. And you need to put them in drop pods as far as I am concerned.

I was waiting for somebody to say that. yes thats true an ironclad engaging in CC is the best chance dreads have of winning. Yes tac squad has powerfist

I went over this night after night with my friend with different simulated tac loadouts and dread loadouts everytime. I lost all faith in dreadnoughts after that. I dont field any at all anymore. after all that testing the ironclad with heavy flamers was the only thing that beat tac squads with any consistency

Well, my army will be 1000pts. 1 Captain, Tac Squad with Drop Pod, Scout squad (5) with sniper rifles, 3x scout bikes with g'launchers and...

Well, that's where my question came in. I like the idea of dropping in an Iron Clad as a Turn 1 tank/hero hunter. Or a regular Dread, something scary to keep things chaotic in the backlines while the rest harass the flanks and front.

Failing that, a second Tac squad to exploit any openings later in the game would be good too. Hence my indecision.

Either way its good for me, I just wanna figure out how good.

Archived