Sigma Legionaire

sisko11

I started this guy back in 2004, but went on hiatus from the hobby with him half finished. Recently got back into it, and decided to finish him.

The concept was based on the rumors that Sigmar from Fantasy was one of the 2 missing Primarchs. It was one of the more interesting theories to me back then, so I wanted to do a concept model of what I thought a marine based on him would look like.

The icons used are a combination of the Sigma symbol and a graphic version of a twin-tailed comet. Colors are typically empire, red, white and black. I wanted to keep him very limited to those 3 colors overall, but threw in a few green gems on the laser sight and of course the blue energy effect. Of course, as one of Sigmar's 2nd legion boys, he had to have a hammer, so I decided to make this model a test bed for a few new techniques. This included scratch building the hammer with plastirod, nmm and osl. Overall I am pretty happy with the result, but think I will be sticking with metallics from now on as I prefer the look for my own style.

http://coolminiornot.com/pics/pics14/img4b837c03e954c.jpg

Comments welcome!

I just love it!

Great modeling, and great paint scheme!

Have you got some WIP of this hammer (I'm playing GK/DH... and I'd loved to borrow the idea!)

Thanks, Tchezz.

Hey Tchezz, over in the w.i.p forum there should be a few naked hammer shots. Tbh it was mostly slotting plastirod and plastirod tubes of varying shapes and sizes into larger versions they would fit snuggly inside. Minor gluing headaches for the back of the hammer and then the entire top onto the haft, but nothing major if you predrill a little bit. Glue on a few rivets or gems in my case and boom, you've got yourself a hammer. It was surprisingly easy to be honest, I had never tried before and thought it would be a bit more fiddly, but as I am finding out, the right materials and a little knowledge about when to do what counts for almost as much as actual skill. First step was to slot the the main rod through the hole drilled in the fist, the rest fit together pretty much exactly how it looks like it would.

Hope that helps!

Wow, this has been a great response for me guys thanks a lot!

Those who posted or like it - http://coolminiornot.com/244279

Those who think it sucks need not apply lol ;)

The Sigma Legion is retired for now though, and the great Space Hulk project begins in earnest... I already finished the stealers in the box, basecoated the termies... But then I went nuts, built 5 more termies to cover every possibility of weapon loadout for all editions, converted, forgeworld pads... I also designed and am working with a commision sculptor on 16 hybrids of varying generations... I am determined to make my set the most complete, detail oriented set around, it's going to be crazy. Already black edged the entire board, no cardboard, custom dice for both teams, Forgeworld techpriests to represent the captures from mission 4 i believe, totally re-done CAT to not look like it has a chapel and xmas tree on the back.... Will start posting that project soon!

Seriously, thanks for the kind words guys, helps keep the motivation up!

Interesting concept and a convincing job for sure. Color sheme is efficient and the mini is readeable and pretty clean. A very good use of many contrasts, that's so rare so /applaude !!!

On the other side, I'd say IMHO that :

A shorter (linked to glovey or forearm) scope connexion would have been way better.

Giving another look to the TH cable, thicker and closer to the arm (I personally think that you lose more in dynamism than you can gain from those flying parts)

A less stylised symbol, I would have squarely taken the comet one from WFB.

I think that lighting both parts of the hammer reduces the effectiveness of the effect but I'm quite sure many people will think otherwise on that particular.

Most important of all... Where is the rest of the army ? Stop hanging around on forum and get back to work !!!

Cheers

DS

Archived