Blast templates and cover

White Hunter

What are the rules for blast templates and cover saves, i was playing with a friend the other day and he said that like flamers blast templates ignore cover saves. I didn't think so so I figured that I would ask the rules brain trust to clarify the cover rules for blast templates.

Thank You

As a rule, no they don't get to ignore cover, unless it says it does in the weapon profile. For example the Whirlwind has a ammo that ignores cover. But generally speaking no, a unit would still get cover saves against a blast template like they would against any other weapon.

On page 32 for barrage weapons it says that you assume the shot came from the center of the blast marker and figure out cover from there, instead of the firing model. However a model in area terrain always get a cover save. It says the same basic thing for barrage weapons in the vehical section.

I infer from this, that for normal blast weapons like from a missile launcher, you work out cover from the point of the firing model. But the rules don't actually say this as far as I can find, on page 30 it doesn't mention cover at all.

My understanding is that flamers ignore cover saves. You get cover from blast templates if there is cover between the centre of the blast and the target, or the target is in area terrain or gone to ground.

Yes flamer templates ignore cover. [p29 BRB]

With normal blast markers cover is confered if suitable objects or intervening models are between the firer and the target. In this respect it works as per any other directional kind of ballistic shooting.

With barrage weapons cover is as servitob says, worked out as if the shot came from the centre of the blast marker. So, if suitable objects are between that centre hole and a model under the marker then the model would get a cover save. [p32 BRB]

Isiah has reported with acuracy.

There are three types of markers

Template (which is what flamers use)

Blast (missle launchers for example)

and Large Blast (such as demolisher cannons)

Templates always ignore cover unless they have a special rule allowing cover (which none do).

Blasts and large blast only ignore cover if they have a special rule to do so, and cover is determined from the firer exactly as if they has hot you with a boltgun or similar weapon.

If the weapon has the Barrage rule then cover is measured from the center of the blast marker

Archived