Tau rapid fire range

Bonsai Monkey

Hello,

Sorry it may be a silly question, but reading the rule book it says that rapid fire is 12", but in the back of my head I think they can rapid fire 15". Think I read it on some tau tactics site?

Does anyone play them and know what it is? I am not up against them or anything, but might do when I finally get an army fully painted.

Cheers

It's 12".

The problem comes when some people think back to the old 3rd Edition rules for Rapid Fire weapons that says they get "1 shot at their maximum or 2 shots at half range" or some such like that. Of course that was before the Tau Codex was released and all Rapid Fire weapons were 24" range. With the advent of the Pulse Rifles that had to be clarified with a FAQ but unless something has drastically changed they can still only shoot 12".

Not to be confused with Pulse Carbines that get 1 shot at 18".

Hope that helps...

I can assure you that it was never "half range". It was allways 12" specifically. But the most common rapid fire weapons (boltguns, lasguns, D Splinter Rifles, ork shootas throughout 3rd and 4th Edition) have a range of 24", so it is easy to assume that the 12" they can rapid fire simply is half their maximum range. Well, it is not. Tau Pulse Rifles (30" max range) rapid fire within 12". The old Warp Spider guns were 12" max range rapid fire, they still rapid fired within 12", and not 6". Though they are "assault" now.

Cheers for that, I got the 12" from the book but remember reading something about them rapid firing pulling back and rapid firing again when marines are not in rapid fire range. Either that or im having stupid dreams about rule books, slightly scary.

Cheers for clearing it up.

Archived