Command Squad

kiwitexansfan

Just wondering if the command squad becomes the Captain's retinue and they must stay with him, or does the Captain retain his independent character status and move as he wants?

Couldn't find an answer in the codex or via search-fu.

Short answer: no they do not.

Long answer: The Command Squad is not listed as a Retinue, simply another squad that can be taken if you fulfill certain requirements (i.e. taking a Captain). Though they are organized under the HQ section, they do not take up any slots on your Force Organization chart and are in essence a "Free" squad, provided you pay the points for it. They generate a Kill Point as normal, and any characters that join retain their Independent Character status and can be singled out in combat.

DV8

Just wondering if the command squad becomes the Captain's retinue and they must stay with him, or does the Captain retain his independent character status and move as he wants?

Couldn't find an answer in the codex or via search-fu.

Short answer: no they do not.

Long answer: The Command Squad is not listed as a Retinue, simply another squad that can be taken if you fulfill certain requirements (i.e. taking a Captain). Though they are organized under the HQ section, they do not take up any slots on your Force Organization chart and are in essence a "Free" squad, provided you pay the points for it. They generate a Kill Point as normal, and any characters that join retain their Independent Character status and can be singled out in combat.

DV8

Thanks for the quick answer, I had found another post on another obviously inferior message board suggesting that they were a retinue.

yeah the retinue question has been done to death, C:SM 5th ed contains no retinue units, so its something that will never come up for regular SM players.

Not only that, but it seems that no 5th ed Codex has any retinue units, even the new Nids Codex. So I would imagine that when all the Codexes have been re-done, there will be no more retinue units. In short, retinues are a dying breed, and the Command Squad is just a normal Squad that can only be taken if you take a Captain, and it doesn't take up a HQ slot.

GW seems to be phasing out retinues, they only reason they still exist is the old codexs like GK stil have them in

~Gil :D

I think that perhaps now that the ICs can be targeted separately in CC they don't want to force an IC to be stuck with a Retinue, while not gaining any real benefit from it. That way he can move around the battlefield freely and lend assistance wherever he is needed. Or something like that?

GW seems to be phasing out retinues, they only reason they still exist is the old codexs like GK stil have them in

I think that perhaps now that the ICs can be targeted separately in CC they don't want to force an IC to be stuck with a Retinue, while not gaining any real benefit from it. That way he can move around the battlefield freely and lend assistance wherever he is needed. Or something like that?

An IC cannot be targeted seperatly if part of a retinue.

An IC cannot be targeted seperatly if part of a retinue.

Ok, so hence why GW is phasing out the retinue :P, just from a different perspective. ICs using their men as ablative wounds just sound wrong anyway. OH NOES HERE COMES A BIG MEANIE!!!, Here Joe, you go fight him, I don't want to get blood on my greaves, I just got'em cleaned! :P.

Archived