Turncoats and Traitor Legions

Captain-Plonker

Now, I don't know a whole bunch about traitor legion fluff other than what's in the current codex and the previous one.

But, I was wondering, aside from the Black Legion, do other Legions accept candidates from loyal chapters who go traitor?

I was particularly interested because I'm doing a Word Bearer army, and I had considered having a unit of 'newcomers', who have been recently inducted and are not yet fully trusted by the others.

But, is this possible among Word Bearers, and what of the other Traitor Legions?

Would the Alpha Legion accept, say, traitorous Blood Ravens?

The Alpha Legion did turn a chapter (or members within a chapter) into traitors by hypnotising the people of the recruitment world I think. I don't know if the legion accepted them afterwards or if they worshipped chaos but it is possible.

Chaos Lord Zhufor was once a loyalist marine and now leads a World Eaters Warband (called the SkullTakers or something... I forget)

The Iron Warriors use Loyalist Geneseed (Imperial Fists) to make new space marines for the legion, although that isn't the same thing.

I think the Thousand sons would accept anyone with the right gifts and the desire to serve tzeentch although I cannot think or any sorces to back this up, although this could probably be said of any Cult legion as long as someone worshipped that God and could survive long enough to prove themselves to the legion.

Now, I don't know a whole bunch about traitor legion fluff other than what's in the current codex and the previous one.

But, I was wondering, aside from the Black Legion, do other Legions accept candidates from loyal chapters who go traitor?

I was particularly interested because I'm doing a Word Bearer army, and I had considered having a unit of 'newcomers', who have been recently inducted and are not yet fully trusted by the others.

But, is this possible among Word Bearers, and what of the other Traitor Legions?

Would the Alpha Legion accept, say, traitorous Blood Ravens?

There is lot of story around this.

The current codex Chaos Marines has a story of a Constantinius the Liberator a squad sergeant of Sons of Guilliman who turned to Chaos and led the planet of Nova Terra in a rebellion against the Imperium.

Or there is Dead Sky, Black Sun base on the Iron Warriors. Further on from this is a short story called Skull Harvest in the book Hero of the Space Marines, which has a Space Marine from the Scythes of the Emperor who had turn into a Champion of Khorne.

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Honsou

With Word Bearer, I seem to roughly remememeber in the novel Iron Hands spoke about Word Bearer & how they get new memeber. I think it might be hard to get your hands on this novel, but if you can it worth it.

Another one being the Red Corsairs, there a fine exsample of once loyal Space Marines turning chaos/Renegade. Again in the Novel Hero of the Space Marines, the Skull Harvest short story talk about the Iron Warriors Warsmith Honsou walk pass Marine of diffrent chapter from Salamander, Iron Hands, etc.... when he going up to see Huron Blackheart who led the Red Corsairs

You can find out more by here

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Red_Corsairs

Alpha Legion, as Hellios pointed out. Codex Chaos Space Marine has another story in which they mange to rip a chapter apart, some join the Alpha Legion & some started there own warband as the civil war pretty much turn out to be ever man for himself.

I also belive there is a old story which has a Ultramarine captain turn into a Khorne Bezerker champion.

IP

Personally I have a hard time seeing the Word Bearers accepting any old renegade into their Legion. The Word Bearers, to me, seem to be the purists among the Chaos Legions, being the only fully organized one left. I see the Word Bearers gaining new recruits from Cultists who prove their ability and devotion and are then granted to be gifted with the Gene-seed of Holy Lorgar.

Granted that doesn't mean you can't have a group of "newcomers" in your army. I can see the Dark Apostle purposely using them as cannon-fodder and meatshields saying that they will be allowed to join the Legion while in reality he just wants to use them as tools. It's suitably evil and chaos-y <_<

Archived