Ordnance blast weapons scattering out of their range

EPK

An argument occurred over this in a recent game. My Vindicator was just in range, and wound up scattering a couple inches into the mob of Orks. My opponent argued that because it scattered out of range, it simply did nothing. That seemed odd to me, where did it go? So I looked into the book...

The entry for Ordnance on page 58 does not cover this topic so I flipped back to the Blast section on page 30.

The third paragraph seemed to answer my question in which it says "Note that it is possible... for a scattering shot to land beyond the weapon's range...".

Case closed? Well, my opponent allowed it, but still argues that it was wrong. Is their some FAQ errata that I have missed?

No FAQ or errata. You had it right. A blast/ordnance can scatter beyond range or out of line of sight. it still has its effect as long as the initial placement was within range/LOS.

Thanks guys. The sentence is pretty clear and makes sense given the "ricochet/blasting through cover" explanation. I mean, the shell has to go some where.

In relation, did it happen to be different in past editions? I feel like he was so adamant about it, that it may have actually once been true.

no, as far as i knowit has always been the same.

he may be thinking about guess range weapons where you needed to place the marker where you thought was within range and then measure, if it was out of range the shot missed.

but blast and ordnance are able to scatter out of sight, beyond their maximum range and onto combat/your own troops.

Blast templates scattering is new to 5th edition. Ordnance used Guess range as stinkenheim mentioned, and all markers used models totally covered for hits, unlike the partials that we have now.

Archived