Weekend Game: Victory for Chaos!

Hey guys!

Just wanted to talk about my game this weekend vs a great friend (and opponent!) of mine, Frostwolf. He's a long time Wolf player and I've been dying to get a bit a of one on one with his new wolves.

I'll give you my list and his and then go through the game. I'll give some of my impressions as well.

My list:

Sorceror: MoS, Doom bolt

Chosen (5): 5x flamers, melta bombs, IoCU, Rhino

Lesser deamons (7)

Berzerkers (8): Pfist, icon, rhino

Marines (10): 2x melta, Pfist, IoCU, rhino

Raptors (5): 2x melta

His List (I might miss a few details, but you'll get the gist of it):

Lord: stormshield, wolf claw, necklace

Rune priest: Stormcaller, living lightning, chooser, terminator armor

Greyhunters (8): melta gun, Pweapon, drop pod with Dwind

Greyhunters (10): plasma, Pweapon (I think), rhino with extra armor

Long fangs (5): 4 missile launchers

Dakka Pred

Capture and control (3 objectives) with the face to face deployement (forget the name...)

He won the roll for first turn and deployed first. I seized the initative so I actually went first.

Turn one:

Well, with my chosen, raptors and deamons in reserve, I had 2 rhinos with the squads inside, so it was a quick turn for me! I really didn't expect to get the roll, so I had no real first turn strategy. I just put my rhinos close to two objectives and into cover.

He dropped his pod next to an objective but didn't have line of sight with his melta gun so they didn't do anything... A few other things shot but no damage.

Turn two:

My berzerkers and sorceror disembark and head towards the grey hunters and lord that came out of the drop pod while the other squad advances in the rhino and gets out to shoot the drop pod. No reserves come in for me.

I manage to bust the deathwind launcher and kill a grey hunter before charging. My Sorceror does nothing, no wounds! And after the rest of the kills, I kill off the grey hunters and the lord breaks. I don't catch the lord...

His turn: He shoots four frags in my nicely packed disembarked squad and 18 hits later, kills four. He takes a few berzerkers out too.

Turn Three:

With his Lord on the run and another squad of grey hunters close by with the rune priest, the Sorceror and the berzerkers go for the full squad hoping the rest of the other squad can mop up. Oh yes, the deamons come in and I decide to kee them on an objective farthest away from the action hoping they can hold the fort while my two other squads take care of his remaining scoring unit.

The berzerkers and Sorceror charge in. Sorceror does no wounds again (curse you srt4!) and the berzerkers take out 6. After taking, casualties, I still win combat and he fails his test again! So with only the Sorceror and one berzerker left, I wipe out the rest with a sweeping advance!

Considering positioning and scoring units left, the game is pretty much in my pocket. We decide to keep going anyways just to see what happens. So here it is in a brief resume.

My chosen managed to come in and bust his pred, his long fangs took out my raptors and his Lord mopped up all of my remaining marines, berzerker and Sorceror. Wow! But I still had that objective and won the game!

I'm a bit short for time right now, so I'll be back later with some impressions that I had. :)

So yeah, impressions.

-Berzerkers rock! They are very efficient for their point cost and they can be a real threat. Init 5 and Str5 plus WS5 on the charge is magic! I think my friend will not underestimate them next game! (not that he did this time, just he'll be more cautious!)

-Str4 on the Sorceror made me really miss my DP. I rolled really bad, but still. If I had a bit more points, I would've taken warptime. Next game, I'm making space for it!

-Outflanking Chosen are fun! If they would've arrived sooner, I could have flamed some greyhunters nice and good. The fact that they came in late only gave me the Pred as a target and then they were gobbled up by the Wolf Lord. I will definately be testing these guys again.

-Deep striking raptors without an Icon or without a real juicy target wastes their potential and makes them easy kills for any unit that can shoot half well. Not sure I would take these again at 1000pts.

-Frag missiles can hurt even marines. I will never underestimate them again or forget about where these guys are on the table. And I will be more carefull of how I place my marines when I disembrak from a rhino.

Now I know these are not earthshattering conclusions, but if any new players are reading this, than I hope you can learn a bit from my experiences.

That's it for now! (again!)

What about finding the points for 1-2 Meltaguns for your Chosen?

Im thinking that 3 templates might be slight overkill whereas you could really benefit from having a few anti-tank weapons depending on where/when you appear.

Chosen never handled well in small games for me so I'm happy they at least got to take out a 100~pt predator in the long run and tango with their lord.

Cutting out the daemons for more raptors would be a good place to start. Icon with the raptors to add, make a decent unit of 8 with champ.

-Str4 on the Sorceror made me really miss my DP. . If I had a bit more points, I would've taken warptime. Next game, I'm making space for it!

I've been trying the K. DP lately, only 140 pts and anti-psy stuff can do nothing to it.

What about finding the points for 1-2 Meltaguns for your Chosen?

Im thinking that 3 templates might be slight overkill whereas you could really benefit from having a few anti-tank weapons depending on where/when you appear.

Definitely a good idea. This was the first game I tried to outflank, so I was not really sure of it's potential. I can see a squad of 5x plasmas really taking a chunk out of an army.

Cutting out the daemons for more raptors would be a good place to start. Icon with the raptors to add, make a decent unit of 8 with champ.

I understand what you're saying, but those daemons won me the game. Having an extra cheap scoring unit in 1000pts made a real difference here. I have tried 8 Khorne raptors in my Khorne-theme army and they have performed well. I was really trying to boost my anti tank capabilities here without resorting to Oblits.

I've been trying the K. DP lately, only 140 pts and anti-psy stuff can do nothing to it.

I originaly thought to put a DP in the list for obvious reasons, but wanted to test out a cheap/basic sorceror and see how he went. Hoping he could support the berzerkers in CC. The only thing he managed was doing a sweeping advance in that last CC with Init6. And that only because there was only one berzerker left with him. I'll try him out with Warptime next, but that Rune priest and his 4+ nullifying thingy might make me rethink that.

Maybe a Khorne Lord with dual-claws? Might (I freaking hope) solve my rolling issues.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

2x Claw Khorne Lords are quite killy and unlike Psykers or Daemon Weapons nothing is going to stop them from stacking wounds reliably.

Hitting on 3's and wounding 75% of the time does a good job of getting kills. Means that on average, every 2 hits = 1 kill against MEQs.

Archived