Winter Deathwing!

Ok, so I decided I wanted to screw around with winter effects and after reading about the whole baking powder (soda) thing I thought i'd give it a go!

I just recently bought some assault terminators so I figured what a better place to start?

Im not the greatest painter so the models are really just two layers of a thin mix of 1:1 skull white and bleached bone with any skull patterns (crux terminatus etc..) painted skull white. Then the whole thing is washed with badab black and highlighted with a straight bleached bone. The eyes where done by first painting Mechrite red onto them then a very thin layer of sunburst yellow with the usual white dot painted in when its dry.

I then went nutz with the baking powder once it was dry.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Starscreams_Ghost/SNC00259.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Starscreams_Ghost/SNC00260.jpg

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b62/Starscreams_Ghost/SNC00261.jpg

Forgive the photos the lighting in the room was aweful and im using a camera phone...

C&C would be welcome!

Great modelling and painting, but...

I don't think snow really falls on a person and stays there stuck to everything while that person is fighting a battle...

Most of the snow you see is always modeled on the ground or on top of anything that doesn't move.

Unless they've been standing completely still for about a day or a few hours, the snow would remain on the Terminators' bodies. Even if they did, the snow wouldn't be patchy.

-Angelfire

I don't think snow really falls on a person and stays there stuck to everything while that person is fighting a battle...

Most of the snow you see is always modeled on the ground or on top of anything that doesn't move.

Unless they've been standing completely still for about a day or a few hours, the snow would remain on the Terminators' bodies. Even if they did, the snow wouldn't be patchy.

-Angelfire

Exactly what I would have said until about two weeks ago when I came in from a blizzard and found that clumps of snow had stuck to my coat in patches not dissimilar to those models!

I like the effect but I do think that it makes your models look a bit static. As suggested above you could either minimise the amount on the models themselves or if you want to make it more dynamic like their actually in a blizzard you could go for a fairly broad coverage on one side of the model, thinning out across the middle and then clear on the downwind side of the model - look up OSL (object source lighting) and then think the same but with baking powder.

-Angelfire

Exactly what I would have said until about two weeks ago when I came in from a blizzard and found that clumps of snow had stuck to my coat in patches not dissimilar to those models!

Your coat is made of different material then terminator armor...or at least I hope so. Cloth would provide the friction required to stick unlike smooth ceramite.

Sorry, I'm with Angelfire on this one...

-Angelfire

Your coat is made of different material then terminator armor...or at least I hope so. Cloth would provide the friction required to stick unlike smooth ceramite.

Sorry, I'm with Angelfire on this one...

Nope its the same stuff didnt you see on the news that guy who got shot at and it just reflected off his jacket? :confused:

No but in reality it wouldn't be there... but considering warhammer is about as real superman. then it is possible

hmmm so who's to say the err, 'snow' on whatever planet they are fighting on contains a coagulant (or something) that makes it look exactly as the OP modelled?

That aside – very nice DW models ;).

Cheers

I

Archived