[Commission] Ultramarine Tactical squad 2

A stabby / assaulty tactical demisquad, led by Aurelius. Should get these finished this week (started yesterday morning). Very minor asurmen blue glazes to tone the armour here and there, otherwise it's the usual airbrush malarky - all 5 highlighted up in the space of about 45 minutes. The yellow is iyanden darksun with a sepia wash and iyanden darksun / vmc ivory mix highlights.

Aurelius pretty much done (did the gem on the hanging crux after the photo):

http://www.winterdyne.co.uk/maz/images/commissions/ultarmarines1/tacsquad2/aurelius_wip1.jpg

Very nicely painted! Too bad you don't use transfers. Although your freehands are well done, it isn't as sharp as it could be with a transfer. There are weakeners/solvents especially for making transfers soft and let them "shrink" on the surface.

I could use transfers and I'm a dab hand with microsol / microset (see the Macross Valkyrie and Lysander on CMON), the freehand is faster, and gives a less uniform appearance. Lots of folks don't seem to like my style of U though...

This said, I can do sharper, finer freehand, it'd just cost more to the client. :-) And no issues with the grenade - it's actually attached pretty firmly to the fingers.

Love the guy flicking the grenade out. Personally I like the freehand, as you said it gives a less uniform look and makes it look more like each marine is decorating their own armour.

Very nice squad!

ID

Hi! Fantastic looking squad. Mind if I steal the name "Stabby Squad"? That's pure awesomeness :)

Also, where do you get the closed fist hand holding the knives?

Your stuff looks sharp, as it always does, winterdyne. Are these part of the same commission as the magnetized dreadnought you posted in another thread?

Though, looking at the knife-marine with the pre-heresy helmet I can't help but think 'Commando Pro' :D

I'm glad you said that. I feel less alone. ;)

Loving the work you give all your Commission pieces!

I'm really liking the squad so far. And true, the Us aren't my favorite style, but at the quality you've done them, its much better! :D

Is Aurielus the model's real name, or is that what you named him, because I would love to get my hands on one ;)

And would you mind if I tried to replicate the grenade-flick? I think that is really cool.

Thanks, great Ultras! (I despise ultras..)

-Shorts

Archived