Lysander in drop pod

Golindar

I'm considering fielding a unit of 10x sternguard with Lysander to maximize bolter drill, but need transportation. Since he wears terminator armor, a rhino is out. I thought about a LR, but feel that would be way to expensive of a unit. I think a drop pod would be a great cost-effective transport. I could drop into some midfield cover, perhaps on an objective, and set up a great firebase that would hold up well in assault as well. Fielding Kantor would also make the unit scoring! Only thing that might be stopping this are the rules. Can Lysander legally accompany the 10 sternguard in a drop pod?

drop pods can hold terminators, take C:Space wolves as an example if someone truly complains.

unless specified in the vehicle entry that they cannot transport terminators (as rhinos and razoracks state) then they can. terminators obviously take 2 spaces.

if land raiders were the only unit capable of transporting terminators it would mention it in either the TDA entry or the LR entry.

Bottom of the second column on 102 is the rule you were looking for:

"Terminators count as two models for the purposes of transport capacity, and cannot embark Rhinos or Razorbacks"

As DPs are not listed, they are golden. Also, you could have a 10 man squad (reg marines) in it with Lysander in termie armor as DPs can hold 12

I'm considering fielding a unit of 10x sternguard with Lysander to maximize bolter drill, but need transportation. Since he wears terminator armor, a rhino is out. I thought about a LR, but feel that would be way to expensive of a unit. I think a drop pod would be a great cost-effective transport. I could drop into some midfield cover, perhaps on an objective, and set up a great firebase that would hold up well in assault as well. Fielding Kantor would also make the unit scoring! Only thing that might be stopping this are the rules. Can Lysander legally accompany the 10 sternguard in a drop pod?

Whats the matter? Tired of having your LR popped by Tau Rail Cannons :D? I'm not sure whether or not I'm looking forward to playing this new list or not.

No.... SWs are the only loyalists who can deploy their TDA via DPs, and thats because they wont deploy them via normal deep strike *spreads hands*.

C:SM allows TDA in the DPs, but as all DPs are dedicated transports this really only comes up for HQ choices.

i don't think C:SM can but then they can deepstrike with the teleport rule (an option which space wolves don't have). as far as i recall the only transport option for a C:SM terminator squad is a land raider. However drop pods can carry ICs in terminator armour that are attached to other squads.

+EDIT+ its also worth noting that our veterans (WG) come in powr armour and you can then mix and match what equipment you give them including TDA, so we do not have a terminator squad as such rather all the different veteran units under one heading. They are also given all the normal transport options (rhino, razorback + DP) aswell as one unit being able to take a land raider with no restriction on the maximum squad size or armour options when buying their transport.

its kind of like your sternguard being able to take a drop pod and having the option to wear TDA or jump packs.

long and the short of it is models terminator armour can be tansported in a drop pod as there is no rule stating they cant (like on rhinos/razoracks) but terminator squads do not usually have access to them as a transport option.

anyone can drop pod termies (assuming the army has both terminators and drop pods, black templars do not have drop pods, but they can fit land raiders into every FOC slot except fast attack), but only Space wolves can take a drop pod for their termies, thus the only way for other armies to drop pod termies is with IC in terminator armor joined with a squad that can take drop pods. Of course Space wolves may not teleport their terminators like everyone else can.

No.... SWs are the only loyalists who can deploy their TDA via DPs, and thats because they wont deploy them via normal deep strike *spreads hands*.

C:SM allows TDA in the DPs, but as all DPs are dedicated transports this really only comes up for HQ choices.

Blood Angles can also deploy terminators in drop pods.

Hmmm even in their new book? [You can tell I've not been following the rumours.]

No clue, I havn't been following the rumours either. But until the new book comes out and changes things the PDF codex is still active.

Hmmm even in their new book? [You can tell I've not been following the rumours.]

Uncertain, but unlikely.

new BAs can deepstrike landraiders, and deepstrike storm ravens I believe which carries 12 troops and one dreadnought. and its also an assault vehicle like the LR

I wonder if they will get that cheesy rule that tyranids got in which they come in turn 2 on a roll of 2+

you see i play that like the IG abilites, only one bonus counts the other is there for back up (although with lictors my friend and i agreed the two different rules would stack).

the eldar FAQ says that the reserves bonus from autarchs can stack. i gues it sort of sets a precendence for other reserve boosting bonuses to do so too

AM

No clue, I havn't been following the rumours either. But until the new book comes out and changes things the PDF codex is still active.

Fair enough, Ive never seen anyone do it because of the high price tag, but they can.

anyone can drop pod termies (assuming the army has both terminators and drop pods, black templars do not have drop pods, but they can fit land raiders into every FOC slot except fast attack), but only Space wolves can take a drop pod for their termies, thus the only way for other armies to drop pod termies is with IC in terminator armor joined with a squad that can take drop pods. Of course Space wolves may not teleport their terminators like everyone else can.

You might wanna check page 22 of the Black Templar codex before stating Black Templars cannot take a Droppod, heck even their Terminators can take Droppods.

You might wanna check page 22 of the Black Templar codex before stating Black Templars cannot take a Droppod, heck even their Terminators can take Droppods.

So THATS where thats been :P. Ive been trying to figure out why BT had DPs in their codex for years, since no unit lists it as a transport option in the codex.

Archived