Conversion: AoBR Dread to Ironclad

I have an AoBR Dread that I decided would better fit my army as an Ironclad.. I have only ever used an ironclad as a proxy so I didn't have an abundance of bits or parts especially as I only started playing again recently after a decade hiatus.

I had primed, based, dry brushed and washed the original dread body and arms in Black then Mordian, then Ultramarine then enchanted blue followed by an Asurman Blue wash prior to this, so I have to start the paint phase over after I clean it up a bit..

--------------------------------------------------------

I'll name the bits as I go...

The Ironclad Missile Launchers are modified Typhoon Missile pods for a Land Speeder.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/9386/3quarterl.jpg

The shield on the Left shoulder is a Terminator Storm Shield, the premise is that it will qualify as the extra armor as well as filling the fluff for my ironclad as a mortally wounded terminator they have strapped on some of his war gear to the dread so as to retain his honours.

http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/6837/termarm.jpg

The Banners hanging off the front are from a vehicle sprue but I'm not sure which one.. got it given to me. I'm going to try free handing battle locations similarly to the ven dread.

http://img535.imageshack.us/img535/540/bannersz.jpg

The "seismic hammer" arm/custom arm is a potpourri. The Shoulder and arm are the standard multi-melta that comes with the AoBR dread. I cut off the melta part just before the barrel. The hand is half of a Dreadnought CCW. The back half is 2 Space marine shoulder pads attached and shaved. The 2 posts connecting it to the arm are parts of the antennas of land speeders. With a multi melta from a speeder attached at the bottom by cutting the "wires" that connect from the arm to the remnant of the Multi-Melta. If anyone wants to see a picture of this connection just let me know.. but basically I cut a section out of the middle of it leaving a connection to the "arm" and a connection to the "shoulder" and the melta is glued at both ends in between the newly formed gap.

The wire connecting to the hand from the arm is the guard rail from an old whirlwind I already swapped into a rhino. I snapped off a segment of it since I took it off when I made it a rhino and heated it with a light till it was pliable and then attached it.

http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/9062/armp.jpg

Then I just added the banner bit from the same vehicle sprue as above.

I might still modify him to have a flamer instead of storm bolter in which case there will be further modification.

I was not going for an uber pose or anything as the AoBR dread doesn't allow a lot of modification in that regard.. but he ain't done yet.. I'll at least do something interesting with the base.

So far so good, I think anyways...

Well,I like it. :)

I say,that if you are happy with it,then go for it and finish that puppy up.

Can i ask something?

The shield that is on the shoulder...Is it Glued on already? Cause it kind of sticks out.

I would try to file it down a little bit, for a more flush fit. But that's just my .02

Good job so far.

It is actually sitting flush.. I think the pic makes it look like the hand hasn't been shaved off but it has.. I only left enough so that it would stay in base to base with the shoulder.

The shield has a natural curve so I had to leave a bit of it on.

Thanks for the feedback :lol: I am pretty pleased with it.. it's my first "major" conversion.

Prior to this I had converted my 10 year old whirlwind back to a rhino and shaved off the arms pins on my AoBR termies to turn them into Assault Termies but that was pretty much it, so this was a special challenge.

Archived