Converting new Ven Dread to Chaos

minigun762

So my heart won out and I'm going to try and find room for a Dread in my army thanks to the new plastic Ven Dread. However I want to make it nice and Chaosy so whats are some plans?

I was thinking of replacing the helmet with a horned, skull or daemony helmet but I'm not sure if the skull would be confused with a Chaplain Dread.

Naturally it will be quite spikey.

Should I keep the "hand' fist or go with the more normal fist?

As for weapons, I'm torn. Part of me would really like to use that new Plasma Cannon but with all the crazy Dread drama I'm not sure I can justify it to myself. Another thought would be a TL Heavy Bolter but I'm at a loss as to how to make a cheap plastic one. 2xDCCW is still an option but I like the look of gun/fist Dreadnoughts better to be honest.

Well if you like to throw a raider at the enemy full of zerkers like I do, you already have something invulnerable to plasma weapons to fire at on the way there. (somewhat, little tricky)

Other then that, the idea of sending it up alone one flank is also the other option since it's ranged. If you must have a PC above the dual melee or melee+missile launcher fragging your own models when it rages.

Well the nice thing with Dread weapons is you don't even have to put magnets on them, you can plug and play.

However I'm still stuck on how to make a good looking TL Heavy Bolter arm without just buying FW.

I planned on doing the same thing with the Ven. Dread when I saw the model. There is a head that looks a bit like mk. 2 or 3 which I think would look good for chaos. Might be able to add some horns to it. And I say go with the plasma canon and keep the hand it looks neat. Might even be able to rig up some claws on the hand to make it scarier.

However I'm still stuck on how to make a good looking TL Heavy Bolter arm without just buying FW.

Modified Pred Sponsons? It would take a bit of work but it's definately doable.

Not a bad idea. So far all I've thought about is stealing the turret off of a Razorback or Land Raider.

• 4 weeks later...

I have just recently finished converting my chaos dreadnought, "Burzak the fallen"

He looks great, used a chaos warrior's skull helmet, power talons on the big power fist, the chapel/cathedral style arched parts and some trophy spikes, a few other doodads and bam.

It looks the businesst, and i'll be sure to post a few pictures once i take them

Edit: Cathedral/chapel bits + skull helmet - as he is a fallen dark apostle, and the religious style fits the dark apostle back ground

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Well the nice thing with Dread weapons is you don't even have to put magnets on them, you can plug and play.

I think the HB cupola from the Raider or Razorback would work.

How about using one of the Defiler heads?

+++

Very nice dread Borkhal B)

Your theming is clever.

I think his claws are just spikey bits(powerfist/lightning claw fingers?) glued to the ends of the humanoid powerfist hand of the ven kit.

The Razorback turret could work, but the way the ammo feeds are positioned would make it awkward without some major modification. I'd personally just use the HBs from a razor turret mounted staggered vertically(ala the forge world turret) on the front of say, an assault cannon arm from a normal plastic kit, or maybe even use a pair of devastator heavy bolters(their ammo feeds and backpacks also would come in handy.

Alternately use the same plastic arm housing and a pair of chaos marine squad heavy bolters, which everybody has loads of lying around anyways. Minimal tooling and it shouldn't be too hard to get to look good either. The most difficult part in this case would be ammo feeds, but simple boxes or even just leaving the little belts hanging could look ok. It would be apparent to anyone immediately what it was, and what it was made of, but it would do the job.

Two CSM heavy bolters (positioned the same way the HB from Forgeworld are) would look pretty cool, I think. Mine has a las-cannon, because I found the Forgeworld one for a bargain (it was mismoulded and the guy didn't want it any more, so I picked it up for five bucks).

The most difficult part in this case would be ammo feeds, but simple boxes or even just leaving the little belts hanging could look ok. It would be apparent to anyone immediately what it was, and what it was made of, but it would do the job.

I think the idea of hanging belts would be pretty cool actually.

Looking back, its exactly how the Dreadnought picture on page 87 of the codex appears.

For the Heavy Bolters try using the Ones from the Imperial Guard heavy weapon teams. They are much bigger and allow for easier conversion work and come with hanging ammo chains. As a bonus you also get Autocannons wich look really cool.

Maybe try mounting the bolters in a missile arm or just replace one of the regular weapons.

I've never tried it but i imagine it would be a nice fit.

I think his claws are just spikey bits(powerfist/lightning claw fingers?) glued to the ends of the humanoid powerfist hand of the ven kit.

yeah they are, chaos lord power talons snipped, glued and g'stuffed on to his hand. they're a bit flimsy though :/

I think the missile pod + bolter/autocannon from IG sounds really cool

Archived