Black Legion; What's the Appeal

Trel

Well most people who claim that think that each black crusade was intended to crush the imperium but they never were, each of them had a small goal to either get resources or weaken key point in the imperium's defences.

One of the first was to get his deamon sword which he succeeded, the gothic war was to get the blackstones and test the planetkillers capabilities, 13th was intended to break the cadian gate which also succeeded.

That and let's not forget that there are a lot of loyalist fanboys who are still in disbelief over what really happened during the 13th crusade.

Even in Soul Hunter this way of thinking is reinforced.

Abaddon attacked Crythe in order to not only gain resources, but also to gain new potential recruits, destroy an Imperial Strongpoint and sabotage one of their great Forgeworlds.

We don't know if Abaddon failed or succeeded as the story didn't cover this, but we already see that he achieved one of his objectives.

To destroy an Imperial stronghold. He decimated an entire Imperial Fleet and gave the Marines Errant a run for their money, not to mention did quite a bit of damage to the Titan Legio.

They call it the Long War for a reason.

The Imperium is a Fortress and time is wearing away its walls, leaving cracks which the invaders can use to break down their battlements and storm it.

The thing is that out of all those attempting to push through these cracks, the Black Legion are the only ones that are creating their own cracks. Where others smash against the walls feebly, the Black Legion has broken the main gate into the Imperium and left them with splinters to try to repair the gate.

I have two things:

Black Legion=Abaddon=Win :P

and secondly (not sure if i will get answerd here, if not i will start a new thread....)

I want to start Chaos again, but will go from the out, with Black Legion, so i know what i'm doing....

now what should i have/not have in terms of fluff

these are things l am likely to have:

Abaddon (am going to buy him tomorow, and start painting :D)

Lord/sorcerer (possibley a Deamon prince, only if they bring out the new model though...)

Terminators

CSM

Zerkers/plagues (possibley Noise marines)

Bikers or Raptors (just 5-10 incase i need extra speed)

Rhino's

RAiders

Defilers

possibley a couple of oblits

Vindicators

(and after i have finished the CSM side, i want to have either some Deamon allies, or Traitor Guard, either of these likely fluff wise for black legion? or are they power armour only?)

Thanks

EDIT: Also the current codex is pretty much codex black legion.. Look how much everyone enjoys it. haha.

So? The Codex has always been the Codex: Black Legion. Take a look at the 3.5 writeup for them (just use the codex as written) and the IA article (just use the codex as amended).

To be honest, I played the Black Legion for a while late in 3.5, when the NVR destroyed my Khornate army. It was a fun break; the paint scheme was really easy (and I was using a variant of Graham Davies' color system), I could do anything I wanted without worrying about whether or not my theme was justified in the fluff, and I had a really great chaos lord with a reason to hate the Imperium.

Nobody ever asked what happened to Horus' personal apothecary, did they?

Then again, this was also after I'd lost theme points for not playing my 'zerkers like they were the moronic disciples of Khârn, the Klown of Khorne, and tried to actually have them exercise some tactical thought. So I was a little burned out on cult troops and peoples' expected behaviors for them, and some of the odd list options presented for the various legion and cult armies. I wanteds something simple, straightforward, and effective.

I like some of the changes in the current codex, by the way. Force Weapons on my Sorcerers? Sure! Cheaper random possessed? Great! Non-IW Vindicators? Where can I get one?

Archived