dual codex armies

frank3

i was wondering if anyone is aware of any Official rules listed anywhere regarding detachments or in other words dual codex armies. if im not mistaken there was something of that nature present in 3rd edition?

My querry is in referrence to using CSM and Chaos Daemons together. such as a 2000pt game limit has been established and i wish to use 1500 of that for CSM and the remaining 500 for my daemons.

i truly hope so because i would love to have my plague marines benefit from an epidemius with the special rules that he brings to the table. not to mention some plaguebearers to run interference or provide some much needed disruption to the table.

As of the current incarnation of the game, the only codeci that can be used with others are those of the Inquisition (i.e. Daemonhunters and Witch Hunters) which can only be used with Space Marine, Guard, and Daemonhunters codeci.

This is as the normal 40k game is set up.

Apocalypse, tournaments, and opponent's permission are different stories.

Addendum: If you are playing CSM, you can obviously summon Lesser and Greater Daemons, but they will be very basic and bland Daemons with no special skills or Marks to differentiate them from each other. Nor do they have the flavor of the units provided in Codex: Chaos Daemons.

My mate and I used a DG and Nurgle Daemons army at a doubles tournament a while ago. It was fun against people who didn't know what was going on, I got power flamers at one point. But after that our opponents got harder and the Epidemius didn't really come into play that much.

Page 87. It's simply agreeing with an opponent about the number of detachments you both want to use, not the same as opponent's permission. Basically, you're only going to want to do it with games against friends. Against random people, it's just kind of rude :D.

I've played games against Chaos where they allied in stuff from the demon codex (not in a multiple detachement way, more of in a lets try this out way). It wasn't overpowering. In a large enough game (2000+) I'd allow the multpile detachment to get demons and chaos marines together.

Page 87. It's simply agreeing with an opponent about the number of detachments you both want to use, not the same as opponent's permission. Basically, you're only going to want to do it with games against friends. Against random people, it's just kind of rude :huh:.

Actually, it is opponent's permission, because if they don't agree to it, then it doesn't happen. It has to be set up before the game begins. If your opponent agrees to you having a 2nd detachment, then it's opponent's permission.

You can't say on Turn 2, "Oh, by the way, I'm using 500 points of Codex: Chaos Daemons because they're better than my Codex: Chaos Space Marines daemons are, and some of them are Deep Striking now." (and I'm not saying Seahawk was suggesting this).

Well technically anything is by opponent's permission since if you try to force the issue he just won't play against you (cept in tourneys of course)

I would totally be for this idea, if only because my army is GK and I wanna try out some of those anti daemon options :D

Archived