Combat squads in DoW

Sparhawk

So here's my stupid question for the month...

If combat squadding in a DoW deployment does that use up both troop slots? I'm pretty sure it does but I've been wrong at least once before, although I can't remember what I was wrong about as it's been such a long time ;).

In my opinion, no it does not. Because you combat squad at the time of deployment of said unit. And in a normal game you need to have the compulsory 1 HQ 2 Troop before you deploy any of your units.

If combat squadding in a DoW deployment does that use up both troop slots? I'm pretty sure it does but I've been wrong at least once before, although I can't remember what I was wrong about as it's been such a long time :D.

Combat Squadding does use up both troop slots. IIRC it doesn't say Troop choices but rather units. Furthermore, a Tactical Squad Troop choice can include a Rhino, but that counts as one of the units, as it's a separate unit when deployed. The same is for Combat Squads, they both count as separate units from the Troops section that are scoring, and therefore a squad that Combat Squads will take up both of those Troops starting places (and you won't be able to deploy your vehicle as well).

If combat squadding in a DoW deployment does that use up both troop slots? I'm pretty sure it does but I've been wrong at least once before, although I can't remember what I was wrong about as it's been such a long time :).

Combat Squadding does use up both troop slots. IIRC it doesn't say Troop choices but rather units. Furthermore, a Tactical Squad Troop choice can include a Rhino, but that counts as one of the units, as it's a separate unit when deployed. The same is for Combat Squads, they both count as separate units from the Troops section that are scoring, and therefore a squad that Combat Squads will take up both of those Troops starting places (and you won't be able to deploy your vehicle as well).

This is corect, dawn of war only allows you to place a HQ and two troop UNITS. It makes no difference how many FOC choices they take up (or dont take up) only that they are a unit. Combat squadding creates two units.

The easiest way to look at this is to read the example paragraph in the BrB wich shows that a Rhino will take up a troops position in DOW deployment because it is its own unit.

Combat Squads are in the exact same boat- same slot, different unit.

It also says, third paragraph:

[...], as long as at the end of the deployment the player still has a maximum of one HQ and two Troops units on the table.

Combat squads says:

The decision to split the unit into combat squads, [...], must be made when the unit is deployed.

If you decide to split a unit into combat squads, then each combat squad is treated as a separate unit for all game purposes from that point.

So you deploy the unit and combat squad, meaning you've got two Troops units on the table, before the end of your deployment. You can't deploy another Troops.

Archived