Rapid fire, gets hot!

This recently came up I was playing vs marine player and he rapid fired a plasma gun into my tac squad, to hit he rolled a 6 and a 2. so on that roll of 2 because of gets hot he had to save or take a wound. he saved no wound was taken. but he argued that because he made his armor save he could still now roll to wound with his other succesful roll to hit? if you roll to get hot in the first place doesnt it prevent you from shooting that weapon anymore in that turn? regardless if you roll to save for it

or was I wrong

A “Gets Hot!” only happens on a to hit roll of 1.

Reading what “Gets Hot!” does on page 31, it is interesting that it does not say that you lose the attack rather the attack suffers the wound. It only says that the “Gets Hot” on a blast weapon it fails to fire.

If your rapid firing you get hot on a roll of 1 or 2. because rapid fire = 2 shots. so roll 2 dice to hit and on a roll of 1 or 2 you Get hot!

In the previous edition (4th) that was the case, in current edition (5th) you only "get hot" on a 1. "Geting hot" never prevented the weapon from hiting, as a matter of fact in 4th, if you rapid fired with a plasmagun on a bs 5 model, and rolled two "2's" and then failed your armor saves, then you would take two wounds, but still hit with both shots and thus would roll to wound agains the enemy with both shots, even if geting hot kills you.

wow so now in 5th you get hot on a 1 no matter what? even rapid fire? thats great and I never even knew it. thx frosty you saved my life!

The only difference Rapid Fire makes is that you have a doubled chance to overheat when firing up to 12" as you fire 2 shots.

A related question:

I have 3 plasmaguns in a squad with in 12" of my target:

1) Roll all 6 shots at once and if I "Gets Hot!" with three, and fail them all, then all three plasma gunners are dead

OR

2) Roll 3 sets of 2 shots and only loose all three plasmagunners if each one suffers a "Gets Hot!" and misses an armor save

As long as the three plasma gunners function the same in the game (same equipment, rules, etc) then you roll them all together, or (1). However if you have, say, a leader with a pistol and two guns in the unit, single out the leader's shot and the gunners shots.

As long as the three plasma gunners function the same in the game (same equipment, rules, etc) then you roll them all together, or (1). However if you have, say, a leader with a pistol and two guns in the unit, single out the leader's shot and the gunners shots.

This is incorect, gets hot is a by model affair, there is no wound alocation. You always roll for each individual model, and only that model suffers the result.

Pg 31 "For each result of 1 on its to hit rolls, the fireing model suffers a wound (normal saves apply)."

Right, but there's no difference between rolling them all at once and then allocating Gets Hot, or doing them one at a time, as long as all the models have the same exact setup. So even though it's not technically the way the rules say it, it accomplishes exactly the same thing and saves time.

Actually that's not true, say you roll two 1s when rolling as a group. You would then have to allocate one wound onto 2 models with a potential loss of 2 models. If, however, you roll them separately and get two 1s they have the chance to both be on the same model so the potential loss is 1 model. Yes the percent chance to take a wound is the same in both cases but one makes you lose more models.

Archived