13th Company Wulfen

Bulveye

Hi all

I am trying to make wulfen for my space wolf thunderwolves, but they need to be big enough to count as thunderwolves whilst being on foot. Does anyone have any suggestions of what to use and how to convert them? I will say I am a complete novice at converting, so anything not too complicated would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Bulveye

So your aim is to make wulfen models that can actually act as thunderwolves? Strangly enough I have almost the same idea but never really planned on making them so I'll give you the idea. The new plastic Beastmen Minotaurs are very nice and large and shaggy. If you get a box of them (I think its 3 for $80 here in Australia) and then a box of Vampire Counts Dire Wolves you can do a head swap with not too much trouble. So basically you are making very large werewolves. You will need to use a bit of Green Stuff to blen the join between the body and head and then you can add armour plates or bisted spacemarine armour on the body to make it look like its burst our of its suit.

This may sound difficult at the moment but if you like the idea I'm happy run you through a tute on how to make them

i tried modelling a deamon prince into a warewolf for my brothers night lords (just cos it'd look scary)

i think the 'thunderwolves' would just be big assed models, not like centaurs or anything, cover ground quick, have big legs.

lol

Yea sorry about posting it 4 times, i double clicked it, then my internet broke so thought it hadnt worked, and double clicked again.

I did think about the minotaurs but i think they might be too bulky in the torso in comparison to the legs, and look too stumpy to be ex-marines, but if I can elongate the body and legs it may just work...just need some tips on sculpting the armour.

Thanks for the ideas

Bulveye

They may look a bit big but I think if you're going for a thnderwolf-stand in then they might be quite good. I havn't actually gotten a chance to construct a minotaur yet so not exactly sure how the hed is connected to the body but I know its loose atleast. When Attaching the dire wolf head you may have to do a bit of cutting and hacking to get it to fit close to the body but its ok if the join is a bit rough as you'll be sculpting over it anyway to link the shaggy mane with the rest of the body. When choosing the dire wolf head try to get one thats not too undead looking as it may look odd with a half dead wolfen thunderwolf in your army.

To sculpt the hair of the mane onto the minotaur body you will need to get a largeish lump of GS and get it to a roughly flattened shape of how you want the hair to look. I would suggest running it down the back of the minotaur body and across the chest, maybe the shoulders too. when you lump is in place and at a basic shape of how you want it leave it to sit for about 10min to allow the GS to harden slightly. Then get a modeling knife or the GW sculpting tool and use the blade to score lines in the GS to look like hair. Make sure it goes the same direction as the hair on the dire wolf head. This may take a bit of practice so you might want to try it on a spare model or an unseen area first. Be careful to not touch the GS after you've scored the hair as it will ruin the patch and you'll have to do it again. You can add hair anywhere else on the model that you want to make it look more wolfy like on the forearms and the backs of the fetlocks (lower back-jointed legs), take a look at the wolf models and seen where the hair is most prominent and copy that.

For armour you can go a few ways depending on what you feel comfortable with. The esiest way is to get bits off normal marines and termies and just stick them to the model where appropriate. I envisioned busted terminator pads over the shoudlers of these guys as if they were Wolf Guard who lost it in the middle of battle and burst out of their termi armour, this could also explain why they are so big; being Wolf Guard they are the oldest of the company and so have had the Canis Helix gene in them for longer making it more potent when it finally takes over. Or they may have had to have scavanged armour after turning becuase their previous armour was totally ruined, so stuff like ork shoulder pads, dreadnought greeves, tank plates and such could work just as well. The second option is to sculpt the armour from more GS. This is probably the hardest option as it will take a lot of patiance and time to get the plates shaped right and smooth. I wouldn't reccomend this if you havn't done much sculpting before but give it a try if you like, you may be a natural at it. The third option and the way that I would go is to use plasticard sheets and cut out the armour shapes you want. You can get plasticard from hobby shops (like model train and plane shops) in a whole heap of thicknesses and designs. For armour you'd probably want .5 - 1mm thick at the very most so its easy to cut and bent over the model. Just cut the shape you want the armour plate to be and stick it to the model. You can bend it around arms and legs to from greeves and arm guards or over shoulders for pauldrons. Again this may tale a bit of practice to get right but it will be much easier than trying to sculp flat plats from GS.

The minotaurs come with a wide range of weapons like double handed axes, two combat wepons or combat weapon and shield so you have plenty of arm options to choose from. To give the minotaur the correct wargear for what the thunderwolf rider would normally have you can simply have the minotaur holding the wepons instead. I'd be happy keeping the weapons the minotaur already has and just letting your opponent know whats what.

Hope I've been of help and if you want any further advice just let me know. Cheers

Archived