500 pts

I've noticed a new trend at my GW. A lot of new players getting started wanting jump into the fun and action as fast as possible. Almost all of which don't field the 1 HQ and 2 troop choice requirements. an example 500 pt list I faced that didn't meet the mandatory requirements: 1 SM Captain, 1 Tac squad, 1 Dev squad.Only one troop and one heavy support, not legal.

I have no problem with this really and am just wondering does this happen at your GW's? These are regular missons nothing special so its def not legal and do you guys have a problem with it?

Curious

edit: 500 pt games only, I wouldnt play anyone in anything higher than that, that wasn't fielding the required troop amounts.

A while back, probably in 3rd Edition, someone came up with the concept of "40K in 40 minutes", which I believe was invented to enable a school gaming group to complete a full "game" in a lunch break. It was published in White Dwarf and eventually put onto their internet site.

The game allowed for a much smaller game because it had some special restrictions on what you can and had to bring.

Basically the minimum requirements were a single troops choice but they also had a number of other stipulations such as no models with more than 2 wounds, no model can have a 2+ save etc.

Now this might not be what is going on here but it sounds quite similar. Its meant for an entry level game because it severely restricts what can and cannot be taken, thus restricts the number of rules that you might need to know in order to play.

Whether or not this is happening is kind of irrelevant, I suspect that the guys are just trying to get people playing the game, which is no bad thing as no new players = dead gaming system. If you are really concerned about playing a game against a "legal" army then just be straight with your opponent from the off, no 2 troops and 1 HQ = no game. Its not difficult.

Personally I dont believe that 500 points can be played fairly without 40K in 40 minutes rules, the points involved are so small that armies which are small and expensive by default (ie us) are penalised whereas large cheap armies (guard, Orks) have a relatively unfair advantage. Not to say that I cant win 500 point games its just not fun for me to play a "legal" 500 point game.

As to whether or not it should be allowed, gaming clubs etc are free to make up any house rules they please. You are free to not play there or insist that you follow the standard model. If you dont like it complain? If they dont care, play someone else.

Wan

If people agree not to use XXX or a non standard FOC then it is all legal and good, just like if you were playing some special narrative game.

In 3rd Ed I used to regularly play 500pts with normal rules... LoL at the guy who used to bring a Land Raider or Blood Thirster every game... silly Chaos I play Eldar... lances = dead Raider...

However if your looking at playing this especially from a balance point of view combat patrol or "40K in 40mins" as mentioned maybe the way to go. Don't think this makes the game uncompetitive because with the 400pts you have and the rules in place some units get very dangerous...

I have a Dark Angels list that has 5 plasma cannons that has done pretty well.

Some space marines can do well (Librarians with gate and Avenger [flamer?] are nasty for a start).

Eldar are nasty

I've also seen nasty guard and nid lists (old dex)... although I'm sure other armies can be nasty as well. Necrons can have a hard time tho...

Possibly also being driven by Assault on Black Reach.

Both sides get about 500 points but with the rules as given only 1 HQ and 1 Troop unit.

School League still runs in the UK, the points limit is 600 and the FOC is 1 HQ, 2 Troop, 0-1 Elite, 0-1 Heavy Support OR 0-1 Fast Attack - remaining points must be on HQ or Troops only. They play on 6x4 tables in 45 mins (including 5 mins setup), which I'm not sure is exciting (read killy) enough!

4th Ed Combat Patrol was 500 points, 1 HQ, 1 Troops, no 3+ wounds, no 2+ saves (might have been a couple of other restrictions).

Black Reach doesn't fill either of these requirements, which is a bit of a shame really.

I have zero objections to only taking 1 troop in a 500 pt game. its really too small a game to get anything else in if the 1 HQ and 2 troop requrment is met first (in most armies thats about half the pts limit for bare bones units).

obviously this should be mentioned in advance but i think its fairly senisble. if my friend and i fancy small games (we usually do 3kpts) we play the odd 500pt battle using 40k in 40 mins rules. no character with more than 2 wounds, no 2+ save, no vehicle with armour values adding up to more than 33, only 1 troop needed and HQs were not mandatory (you just nominated a leader, be it a srgt or a HQ you purchased). its works well, is fun and still leads to exciting fast paced and brutal games.

This certainly falls under the "if you and your opponent are cool with it, who are we to object" header.

Seriously, Ive done it a million times myself, but there are no "official" rules for it anywhere. *shrugs*.

Seems like this belongs more in amicus to me.

Archived